• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Using VSL and EWQLSO together

Share/Bookmark

Using VSL and EWQLSO together

To my ears, VSL has the edge when it comes to strings, woodwinds and most of the solo instruments, while EWQLSO has some great brass tutti samples and percussion.

I\'m thinking of doing this: Having one computer run Giga with VSL and buying two more to run just the brass and percussion modules of EWQLSO.

Has anyone been working with these types of combinations? How workable is it from a productivity standpoint. Is it easy to get all this sounding like everyone is sitting and playing in the same room? Or is the built-in ambience of EWQLSO hard to pair up with VSL running through some \'verb?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Using VSL and EWQLSO together

I\'m also curious about this ... i love the timbres of QLSO, but still not satisfied with the legato patches.

I would like to hear a demo of QLSO and VSL Performance mixed together, i\'m sure with clever IR\'s one could mix the two together flawlessly, i would just like to hear it before i plunge into VSL land.

SWL

Good ear and choice spinach!!!
    The brass and percussion of an orquestra when recorded in long distances have a quite different sound. Also String and woodwind but not so much.
    You´l be impressed when you hear the difference of sound between close , full and surround.!!!
    And the legatos of VSL are simply the best!!!

I seem to remember a post by David Govett regarding a film opening score he put together using both VSL and EWQLSO - he spoke of using the legato function of VSL and matching the instrument placements to blend them with the EWQLSO for a fuller richer sound. Perhaps he can re-enlighten us. David?

I use both together and am extremely happy with the results. It is the first time I have not felt extremely limited by samples. If you can concieve a phrase or articulation, you can just about pull off anything with Vienna detail wise once you get a grasp of all the tools. QLSO has a warmth and power that is unmatched. They mix together very easily. I have a lot of computer power to have a fairly large template available (6 pcs and a g5). I\'m still waiting to see how QLSO streams on a g5. Hopefully in the near future I\'ll be able to cut back a bit. I use Altiverb to mix Vienna with QLSO. I have not found it difficult to place the two together cohesivally. I think the silent stage of Vienna is inherently very flexible.

Colin

Interesting! Colin do you have anything you can share mp3 wise which blends both? I have a G5 running VSL and am considering EWQLSO Gold for starters. Please? lol

http://www.davidgovett.com/QLSO/

The film opening tracks. One has effects, the other music only. Its QLSO combined with some runs & legato from VSL.

Diddn\'t get the gig since the project relies mostly on hit pop tunes and they get a good deal on these tunes if the producer of them can be \"The Composer\" as well. I impressed the producer though and it might turn into work in the future. That was my main goal anyway. He has produced some very heavy films and lots of indies.

Later
    Dave

Originally posted by scores4film:
    I use both together and am extremely happy with the results. It is the first time I have not felt extremely limited by samples. If you can concieve a phrase or articulation, you can just about pull off anything with Vienna detail wise once you get a grasp of all the tools. QLSO has a warmth and power that is unmatched. They mix together very easily. I have a lot of computer power to have a fairly large template available (6 pcs and a g5). I\'m still waiting to see how QLSO streams on a g5. Hopefully in the near future I\'ll be able to cut back a bit. I use Altiverb to mix Vienna with QLSO. I have not found it difficult to place the two together cohesivally. I think the silent stage of Vienna is inherently very flexible.

Colin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hi colin,
    just to understand it right:
    you dont use the close/dry samples of EWQLSO and put both in a artificial verb ??

or you use diff mic positions of EWQLSO and adjust the samples of VSL to the EWQL room ??

would be interesting to know which way you go [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My default template uses only the stage mics of QLSO. I found two Altiverb IR\'s that I run Vienna through to get a basic mix going. I do all of my writing and first pass at the mix with just the QLSO stage mics and Vienna. From there I print that to audio tracks and load the surround mics in my QLSO template. I feather surround in on all the instruments, but will usually add more surrounds on the brass and percussion to put them farther back in the hall. There is definately something magical about the surround mics that Altiverb on the close or stage mics does not equal. I have yet to use the QLSO close mics. For me Vienna accomplishes a level of detail here that I much prefer. That is not to say that the close mics are not useful. In live scores I\'ve recorded engineers much better than I am have really brought things to life with them. This involved using some pretty dramatic eq cuts and boosts etc- not just feathering them in as is.

As far as music examples using QLSO and Vienna, I don\'t have a web site to post an example, but if you have some space I will e-mail it to you to post.

Colin

Colin: send the example to me and I\'ll host it for you on Sanctus in your own subdirectory - I\'m that interested.

send it to: frederickruss@myfirstlink.net

Let me know - thanks!

Go Back to forum