• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Microphone for sound fx

Share/Bookmark

Microphone for sound fx

Yes its me again, can anyone reccomend a good (modestly priced) all-round microphone for recording sound fx? I\'ve had the Shure SM-57 reccomended to me but don\'t I want to record sounds in stereo? Please help, I\'m new at this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again, in advance.

Re: Microphone for sound fx

Hasen

The SM57 is a mono dynamic mic good for snare drums and guitar amps but not good for SFX unless they happen to be a formula one cars at 6 feet! It is not a very sensitive mic so if you were recording footsteps or something quiet you won\'t get great results compared to a good condensor mic. If you\'re on a budget an AKG C1000 would be a better bet and it runs off battery power if your portable recording device doesn\'t do phantom power

We use a shotgun mic (with windcheater) like the Sennheiser MKH 416 or MKH70 for location recording or alternitively Rode mics which are great value for money.

Thanks for the reply Dave, how much do these mics cost? I\'m UK like yourself so just hit me straight with the price in pounds if you can recall it off hand. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Battery power would come in handy as I\'m gonna be using minidisc for portable recording so obviously I won\'t be giving out phantom power. Also the quality isn\'t at the very highest level so there is no point going overboard with some amazing mic when I\'m only using minidisc. Not that its that bad but its not DAT.

Are these mics stereo btw?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I really like the Rode NT-4. Stereo, battery powered, true condenser, less than $1k list, and a very nice mic for capturing ambient and FX content on the go. If you were using it in windy conditions, you\'d probably want to purchase a zeppelin for it.

I wonder why you\'d want to record FX in mono, actually.

I think the suggestion for shotguns is good if that\'s what you want to do, though. A mono shotgun recording would certainly give you a front and center kind of perspective on foley type sounds, but would fall short of representing a space in the case of crowd ambience, etc.

Best regards,
    Bruce

If the mic needs to be battery powered you\'d be looking at the AKG C1000 (around £100) or the Rode NT3 ((around £110) for mono mics. As Bruce suggested the NT4 (£330 ish in the UK) is probably the only choice for a stereo mic without paying silly money. You can easily make a stereo recording mono but not the other way round! The Sennheiser shotguns are expensive! We rent them when the Rode mics we have are not suitable for the job.

One thing to consider is that a non pro mini disc recorder probably has an unbalanced 3.5mm jack stereo mic input. You would need to get an XLR to 3.5mm lead made up and I don\'t know how well this sort of input would handle a pro mic in terms of level and impedance. The sockets are certainly not very robust if you use them a lot. Try before you buy if you can. Sony do a budget stereo mic with a 3.5mm jack lead for about £99 but I don\'t know how good it would sound.

Originally posted by mschiff:
    Bruce,

How do you think a pair of Audio Technica AT853 mikes with cardoid capsules would compare with the Rode NT4?

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hard to say. Less convenient for location-type stuff. I have an AT822 stereo mic, and the Rode really outshines its sound quality in every way.

I have the NT-4 and the NT-5 matched set, and am totally impressed with both. The NT-5s are quite nice and have a bit different electronics than the NT-4, but are pretty similar in tone. We will be doing a shootout-style review of the NT-5 pair, comparing it to several other pairs in its price range. The Rode mics, especially the latest designs, are almost impossible to beat from a price/performance standpoint. While several companies have succeeded in bringing high-quality sound to inexpensive mics, Rode has managed to one-up the process somewhat, delivering extreme sturdiness and very elegant construction.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

I wonder why you\'d want to record FX in mono, actually.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well yes, that\'s why I asked the question \'but don\'t I want to record sounds in stereo?\' I would have thought that you wouldn\'t have been able to capture the ambience without a stereo mic but I don\'t really know much about the recording side of things as you may have gathered. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Originally posted by Marsdy:

One thing to consider is that a non pro mini disc recorder probably has an unbalanced 3.5mm jack stereo mic input. You would need to get an XLR to 3.5mm lead made up and I don\'t know how well this sort of input would handle a pro mic in terms of level and impedance. The sockets are certainly not very robust if you use them a lot. Try before you buy if you can. Sony do a budget stereo mic with a 3.5mm jack lead for about £99 but I don\'t know how good it would sound.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmm this coule be a problem. I have a non-pro portable minidisc as you describe and wil be using an ordinary adaptor to 3.5mm for input to the minidisc from the microphone. Bad idea? Will the Rode be overkill for what I\'m using to record with?

Btw thanks for your input guys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Rode actually comes with a knockdown cable, all ready for action with that type of recorder, as well as a dual-xlr pigtail for use with a typical low-z/phantom studio rig or professional portable.

Bruce,

How do you think a pair of Audio Technica AT853 mikes with cardoid capsules would compare with the Rode NT4?

-- Martin

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    The Rode actually comes with a knockdown cable, all ready for action with that type of recorder, as well as a dual-xlr pigtail for use with a typical low-z/phantom studio rig or professional portable.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Cool! Thanks Bruce. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So Dave, £330 you say....where\'s a good place to buy from?

Go Back to forum