• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: M-Audio Audiophile 2496?

OT: M-Audio Audiophile 2496?

I know I should post this in hardware, but there are so many more composers in this section of the forum that might be able to help me.
    I need a new soundcard and was wondering if anyone else uses this one. If so, does it work fine with Giga and also does it have low latency for using soft synths (ex:qlso, edirol, etc) and is it pretty quiet?

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: OT: M-Audio Audiophile 2496?

Hi Damon ,

I use it!!! No complaint... works fine with giga , very low latency (I´m using QLSO) and pretty quiet. Worth it!!!

Yes, the \"pci\" version of Audiophile is a good choice for professionnal work. The latency depend of your\'s system configuration, but is the same like other pro sound card.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys. For the price it looks extremely good!

Yeah, I have one too and have never had any problems with it or any conflicts with other devices.

Sound quality is good, drivers are stable (ASIO, WDM and GSIF).

And it works well with Gigastudio on my machine.

Ben H

I use 2496\'s in two giga machiens atm and they are an excellent value, solid drivers, latency is not audible using MidiOverLan.

Two things I would give a heads up to tho:

On XP, last I checked, the newest Delta drivers for the PCI 2496 didn\'t work very well, had all kinds of cracks and pops and I seem to remember at one point not even being able to play a wave file. I\'m using Driver Version and all has been as solid as it gets since. (I leave these machines running pretty much 24/7 without reboots and still stable as ever.)

The only real complaint I\'ve had is the signal to noise ratio of the analog outputs. They are somewhat quiet, and to get the volume to an appropriate level I have to account for this at the mixer. That brings additional noise into the sound as the card is an interior and not breakout, so it can be a bit noisy sometimes, though nothing ridiculously unacceptable. I probably wouldn\'t have really even noticed except I\'m using a Delta 44 on my main machine and the volume difference is pretty staggering when A/B\'ed.

I highly recomend this card to anyone using giga for the value. I haven\'t made use of the S/PDIF functionality, and maybe that would solve the noise issues. Using an analog mackie for routing atm, so I can\'t really check. Maybe someone here has done both?

I think I should mention that I\'ve had intermittent crackling on mine. It happens off and on, I\'ve heard others have similiar problems. I believe it\'s probably a manufactiring defect, but at this stage warranty is out and it\'d be cheaper to just get a new one.

Works great in both OS X and Windows XP.

Thanks alot guys. I have been considering the Delta 44 due to the signal to noise ratio difference but as long as its not terrible I will probably still go with the audiophile 2496.

Mike I run everything within the computer and use a mackie 1202 VLZ as my mixer monitoring it thru my mackie HR824s, so maybe I wouldnt get as much noise since its all internal.

Mike are you saying you run your hardware mixer into your soundcard that is adding more noise?

Also where can I find version 27 of the drivers for it? Midiman just has version 36 on there and I had problems with it as well and went back to version 27. Does M-Audio not keep all of their drivers on their website?

The final version is at the M-Audio site:

Then select Delta Audiophile 2496 and Win Xp (obvioulsy)

Word of note: The Audiophile contains no mic preamp so the recording volume is LOW but if you are using itmostly for MIDI then this wont matter.

I have had no clicking or popping with the AP2496 ever. Remember when you install if you are using it as a main card for audio to put it in the farthest slot from the CPU fan.

Ben H

The other (almost as) low cost option is the Echo MIA. The benefits are balanced I/O for lower noise (nice for plugging into a mixer), and four virtual outputs.

It works fine for me with Giga, but some others have had problems. Hopefully Echo will straighten that out soon, cause otherwise it\'s a bit of a risk on Giga. Check the return policy before you buy!

Go Back to forum