• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mackie HR824's...Whoa!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Mackie HR824\'s...Whoa!!!!

I just bought a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors and boy do they sound fantastic with Gigastudio! I can\'t believe how much more sound and tonal quality I can get out of these monitors now. I actually noticed alot of noise with some of the gregorian phrase loops on Symphony of Voices that I never even heard before with my sterio speakers. If anyones looking for some good monitors with power built in, grab em. You don\'t even need a power amp. They just plug into my Mackie 1202 mixer and I\'m getting the most accurate sound! Plus, you can turn em up to. Check em out at your nearest music store. You won\'t be disappointed. These monitors don\'t lie, everything that is sampled in Gigastudio comes out through the speakers exactly as they are.
    Cheers!

Re: Mackie HR824\'s...Whoa!!!!

I second that! The Mackies are great monitors. They hold their own against price-no-object speaker systems. Also, the Mackie SRM450 does a good job for bigger sized rooms.

They do have a very bad freq. response (or rather, I think the problem is in the casing) at around 100-150hz I think it is... they tend to do some resonance there that sound pretty bad.... The Genelecs don\'t have that... But overall, the HR824\'s are cool and have a very good bass at 50-80hz

My HR824s do not exhibit such a resonance. In fact, the actual measured anechoic frequency reponse that accompanied each speaker is +/- 1.0 db from 50 to 20K Hz. This is born out in listening as well. I also own Magneplanar MG IIIa and B&W DM802f speakers which are both well regarded audiophile speakers. The Mackies, IMHO, compare quite favorably and are a genuine bargain. Of course, room acoustics and speaker placement are extremely important. Judicious application of soundfoam panels and bass traps can often mitigate response anomolies.

Ahh that sounds interesting. I wouldn\'t mind getting rid of that problem Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    They do have a very bad freq. response (or rather, I think the problem is in the casing) at around 100-150hz I think it is... they tend to do some resonance there that sound pretty bad.... The Genelecs don\'t have that... But overall, the HR824\'s are cool and have a very good bass at 50-80hz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had that problem too, but it was not the monitor itself, it was a manufacturers defect. One of the components in the amp was mis-mounted and vibrating. Mackie fixed with no problems. If you have this problem I would have the monitors checked out. Mine are now flat flat flat...

-L

Yeah, They\'re extremely nice for a reasonably priced near-field monitor.
    But they lack the very precise definition that you get with a larger
    full-range speaker of top quality. And of course you lose the awesome
    punch of a large speaker too. But I\'d still use them in conjuction with
    the larger monitors if I could afford both.

Go Back to forum