• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kodaly: Dances of Galanta

Share/Bookmark

Kodaly: Dances of Galanta

Dear friends,

in the past few weeks I have worked on creating a rendition of Zoltan Kodaly's "Dances of Galanta".

I did a MIDI rendition back in 1998, and now I reworked this in Sonar with my usual GPO4 setup.

It is still a bit "rough around the edges", could need some tempi modifications (it sounded fine when I worked on it, but now, when listening, I think it is too fast...), and could need some improvement of instrument balance and note phrasing. Also the strings could sound a bit fuller, I will experiment with some more extensive layering. But for now it shall do, I need to give it a rest and work on it again in a few weeks.

Hopefully you still can enjoy this music in this draft version!

Here is the file:
    http://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp....ces-of-galanta

Re: Kodaly: Dances of Galanta

Hi Reinhold,

First of all my huge admiration for this titan's job to enter all these notes. It's fantastic music, so you took an enormous risk to achieve it in a realistic way, but you did. The tempo is fine and the overall feel is absolutely right. I enjoyed every second of it.

As to the string sound: mostly all right , only the mid section of the frequencies is a bit thin. The high and low strings are OK. But to my taste (it's up to you of course to decide on it), the basses are a bit week. It could boost the dynamic (volume and rhythm) a bit and make the orchestra sound fuller.

As a music teacher I had to study Kodaly and his music (and pedagogic work) impressed me all the time. Thanks for letting us listen to such extraordinary music in a very interesting orchestration. Great job so far!

Max

Hi Max,

thank you very much for taking the time to listen to it!

And thank you also for the comments about the string sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    As to the string sound: mostly all right , only the mid section of the frequencies is a bit thin. The high and low strings are OK. But to my taste (it's up to you of course to decide on it), the basses are a bit week. It could boost the dynamic (volume and rhythm) a bit and make the orchestra sound fuller.
    Yes, you are absolutely right. This was not apparent to me when I built this rendition track by track, but now when listening to the overall result, I too am not quite satisfied with the sound. I will do some more work on it, because I too like some more pronounced basses. I may have to take down the overall volume slightly, because there is already clipping in three places (not very perceivable, as it is in a drum roll, but still there, about 1.6 db).

This particular piece of music has a special role in my listening repertoire: in 1980 when I first heard it, it was for me the bridge between the traditional romantic/classical and the 20th century: it does combine traditional Hungarian music with some more advanced chords and harmony developments, which are so very much enjoyable. From then on, I did listen to and could appreciate more works from 20th century, e.g. Bartok and others.

Just a well-meant thank you, Reinhold. What a wonderful music he made. The only work I am familiar with is the Háry János suite, but as you demonstrated here, he made other music too. I must go to the CD-shop to get it........

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Just a well-meant thank you, Reinhold. What a wonderful music he made. The only work I am familiar with is the Háry János suite, but as you demonstrated here, he made other music too. I must go to the CD-shop to get it........
    Thank you very much, Raymond!
    Yes, I also know the Háry János Suite, which is another work that is on my list to create a rendition of.
    There are also the Marosszek Dances (a kind of "predecessor" of these Dances of Galanta), but I personally find those less appealing than the Dances of Galanta.

Very nice are also "Variations about the Peacock" and "Summer Evening".

Hello Reinhold:

First of all, I am astounded by the work you have done. It is, as you learned, a very tough job and you have done well.
    I would mention two places which could be changed to make this even better.
    The first is that you are (through most of the piece) suppress the strings in favour of the winds. The dominating role should be given to the strings.
    The second is that too much legato you are using. Right at the beginning of the piece the melody should be far more broken up. The woods also. ( I am falling in the same difficulty often, that I ignore the fact that the players have to take a breath, and have to shorten the duration of the notes laboriously after..)The strings at the mean theme should have more attack, very heavy bowing.
    It is difficult to convey what I mean without you hearing what I mean. I decided to answer you here, instead of your pm, because your rendition is so beautiful (of this beautiful piece) that all of us should be part of helping your great work, as many people already done. I will listen some more and make some more observations.
    To pick up the spirit of Hungarian folk-music is not easy for anyone grown up on "western" style music. It is a good example that a musical score falls short of conveying the will of the composer, most of the time.
    I do not know how far you wish to go with this project, but for a start, if you could send me a copy of the first say 20 bars of your Sonar (as a MIDI 1) file, I would attempt to show you my point.
    My admiration to you, and thanks for posting your work.

Ted

Thank you very much, Ted, for your valuable comments!

I will later tonight send you that short segment from the beginning. Hopefully you can cope with three ARIA synths and 40 tracks

Regarding the legato: I had it without legato first, but then the attack especially at those fast short notes did seem unnatural, so I tried to follow exactly the score and add legato where the legato arcs were. But I also took the liberty to add it where it was not noted, so I will probably remove it from there.

The emphasis on the wind instruments seems to come from my technique: I create my renditions from the bottom up in the score, starting with the basses, then ending with the piccolo. This puts naturally an emphasis onto those wind instruments, because I am then apparently trying to play them so that they are audible against the string background. I may try to change my method for the next renditions and start from the top with the wind instruments. However, starting with the strings gives a good audible structure to the music right from the beginning...

In any case, the balance can be simply changed with the track-parameter #7. And the attack can be changed and elevated by increasing the velocity values and removing the #64 parameters.

I just could not leave your project, re-discovering the Galanta which I did not listen to for many years.
    Instead my suggestion to send me some of your file, I picked a number of performances from You Tube presentation, and I had to select Dorati and the Budapest Filharmonics as probably the closest to the style of Kodaly and I offer you to listen to it. Not because the quality of recording or the orchestra, but you will pick up what my memory and my heart was telling me, how it should be played, the balance as it should be.
    Of course, your artistic freedom should dictate where you agree with Dorati and where you enter your own interpretation.
    Anyhow, if and when you go back to this, please,please let me hear it, I would love to listen.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I think the recording that I listened to in 1980 was by Antal Dorati, so I do have his interpretation "internalised" Trying now to find one on YouTube, I was only able to find one with the Philharmonia Hungarica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0PYn1KzJ_4

Was not able to find the Budapest Philharmonic recording...

I have now begun to do some modifications. The balance is now with more emphasis on basses and celli; all the woodwinds have been reduced in volume. This leads to some inconsistencies in some parts which I will have to address individually. But overall, I think it became better.

I also tried to make some changes regarding legato, and added now the #64 parameters at exactly the right notes, where the legato should stop. This does, however, not work well for the violins1: a non-legato note appears to be significantly louder than the rest, and that disturbs the musical flow in my opinion too strongly. So instead, I removed the note overlap, to create a tiny gap to simulate the non-legato. This works ok.

Also something strange: the legato controller #64 influences strings differently than woodwinds: strings with legato are quieter than non-legato, whereas woodwinds with legato are louder than non-legato.

For those who have an interest in experimenting, I am making the full Sonar file available. All that is needed is Sonar X and a working installation of GPO4. There are 3 Aria soft synth instances.

Then you, Ted, could have a go to play with the legato.

Expression is in my file not through #11, but through #1. It has mostly been entered with the mod wheel in live play.

The file is here:
    https://www.box.com/s/fmcw30tdciditkftaarz

https://app.box.com/s/ldmyr1t1wm9caak7nq80

I just changed some of the durations up till only bar 20, and changed some of the CC1 on both cello tracks and on the horns.
    Sorry, but my poor little laptop with me now in Mexico can not handle your big job.
    In any case, even if you do not agree with the changes I made, you will see what I mean.
    Hope this helps...

Good night Reinhold

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast