• Register
  • Help

Topic: Don't Know Why (Norah Jones) for GAS and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Don't Know Why (Norah Jones) for GAS and GPO

Hello friends.

Sorry I haven't been round for a while. That retched health issue again. Anyway, I wanted to drop by and at least share something with you, so here is a recording I made a while ago of Norah Jones' Don't Know Why. Piano is GAS, strings are GPO. Enjoy!

https://app.box.com/s/wndgcs4gtxkbx9bg3384

Regards to all
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Don't Know Why (Norah Jones) for GAS and GPO

I do not know if this is your composition or not, this type of music is not on my favored list. However, if you are the composer, congratulation. It is lovely. And a big applause for the singer and the recorder of the piece.
    Because of my ignorance of modern music, I usually do not comment on this kind of music, because I am not qualified. So, feel doubly applauded when you managed to touch me with your art.

Ted

Ted: Sorry, I should have made it clear: This is not my composition, just my arrangement and performance. You can hear the original here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk

Grand, as always, to see you here, Owen - Thanks for dropping by and bringing along such a nice sounding track! Who is the vocalist? - Piano arrangement is sweet and sounds great - The strings are almost subliminal, I was wanting to hear them at least just a bit more. Lovely.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Grand, as always, to see you here, Owen - Thanks for dropping by and bringing along such a nice sounding track! Who is the vocalist? - Piano arrangement is sweet and sounds great - The strings are almost subliminal, I was wanting to hear them at least just a bit more. Lovely. Randy
    Thanks, Randy, for the welcome! The vocalist is a young Korean lady living in Canada called Jessica. It was a random find on YouTube that inspired me to create this arrangement. I have tried to contact her, but she seems to have disappeared. I went ahead and did it anyway since I thought she had a nice interpretation. The original is here:

http://youtu.be/xu0nab29dq8?t=3m19s

Funny I was just thinking that the strings could do with being reworked. They sound like hastily-added block chords, which is what they probably were! I would like to write the parts properly to make them more of an integral part of the work.

Thanks again for commenting.
    Owen

Hi Owen,

WOW! What a lovely cover; you've found a great singer to embrace the sensitive nature of this beautiful, simple song. It would be so easy to "add" to this song, but I think the restraint shown really lets the delicate performance shine.

As far as the mix, I would love not only for the strings to be a bit more prominent, but the piano as well. But that's not to take away in any way just how much I loved this.

I always like to give the composer credit if I know who it is, and in this case, I know! It's a singer/songwriter/guitarist named Jesse Harris, who actually wrote and performed this tune for a couple of years before the Jones hit. Imagine, it kicked around for a bit before Jones covered it! It was recorded in one take, as a demo, and later on legendary producer Arif Marden added some sweetening and Jones harmonizing with herself in a few spots. Harris (who by this time played with Jones) played guitar on the date.

Really nice treatment, Owen! Loved it.

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Thanks, Frank, for the information about the composer. I looked him up, and found this video of him performing the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbOLLibARmk

I'll take a listen to the mix again. Perhaps the piano can be a bit more interesting and use a greater range. That itself would make it more prominent.

Appreciate the listen and your comments. I will try again to contact the vocalist and share all your fine comments. I understand that she lost both her parents at once recently, so I'm sure she can use all the positive energy she can get.

Hi Again, Owen,

Thanks for the Jesse Harris link ... I hadn't seen that before and I was amazed just how close Nora not only covered his song, but his rendition as well. And using essentially the same guitar background (which I thought is perfect) adds to the similarities. (BTW, Love that slightly smokey flavor of Nora's voice).

Also, of course we all hope Jessica is doing better and coping with her loses.

Regards,

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Go Back to forum