• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wolfenstein trombone mockup

Share/Bookmark

Re: Wolfenstein trombone mockup

Palm,

I like the trombone sound, but the attack is mushy. Kind of sounds like you are squeezing it out of a ketchup bottle [smile].

-- Martin - trombone player

Excuse my ignorance, but - isn\'t there also a instrument from RI in it?

Hansi

Wolfenstein trombone mockup

Hi,

just in case if somebody is interested...as I know, many in this forum wondered how Bill Brown did the fat trombone chords at the beginning of his \"Return to Castle Wolfenstein Intro Movie\". I tried to mock-up those and think I´ve come pretty close (albeit I only did the trombones in a quick hack, NOT the whole orchestration).

I layered two libraries:

QLB and Roland \"Brass & Woodwinds\" (L-CDX-03)

from QLB:
    3B SUSFF
    +
    BTB SUSFF (Bass Trombone)

from Roland:
    TROMB ff
    +
    BRS Tbnsff (those are the most import because they deliver the typical heavy \"sawtooth\" sound which you should bring in via the Modwheel).

Tell me what you think...

http://homepage.mac.com/michaelpalm/FileSharing1.html
    (download \"RTCW fat bones mockup.mp3\")

Best regards,
    Mick

Hi Palm,

Sorry but this is so far away from BB\'s RTCW intro..
    The greatest thing about his low barss in that piece is the attack...that ripping sweling attack that you hear on his B Bone, or as Polar sugested Alpen Horne from RI..

Alex

Originally posted by lex:
    Hi Palm,

The greatest thing about his low barss in that piece is the attack...that ripping sweling attack that you hear on his B Bone, or as Polar sugested Alpen Horne from RI..

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, it is not far away from the intro IMO. If you listen to it carefully, you can hear that the trombones are masked behind the other stuff in it; attacks are obviously softened by fx and snares which creates an illusion of a huge attack in the samples. Old trick.

I agree, this is not the same instrument but it´s not \"far away\" from it.

Just an opinion...

Originally posted by Paulh:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by lex:
    Hi Palm,

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, it is not far away from the intro IMO. If you listen to it carefully, you can hear that the trombones are masked behind the other stuff in it; attacks are obviously softened by fx and snares which creates an illusion of a huge attack in the samples. Old trick.

I agree, this is not the same instrument but it´s not \"far away\" from it.

Just an opinion...
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That attack on the lowest brass that you hear when the track starts is not an ilussion, it is a great sample. The main difference is that it is a very short portato, like the ones we have in Maarten\'s trumpets.

Tuba and Cimbasso on DDSB have this sound in FFF, but they need some EQing to be able to sound this fat.

Alex

I don´t think there is the RI Alphorn layered with the bones in BB´s track (or did anybody try that?). It´s too \"soft\", but it could be that BB has excited + EQed in the upper range - have to try that. Besides that, I think I have to work little more on the Bass Trombone, especially in the 2nd chord (if I had the time...). Also the attacks should be more \"crisp\".

I agree with PaulH that the trombones are \"masked\" to an extent behind snares and bass drum.

Anyway, BB said the he used custom samples...

Go Back to forum