• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Composer Job market?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Composer Job market?

The weirdest place last year was TheForce.net. As a die-hard Star Wars fan I got chatting to one member whose fiancee happened to be looking for someone to score some music for a TV doc about homelesness in Toronto. I don\'t normally hunt the web for work so thought it was going to be a low-paid amateur affair but, once I sent her some music and was approved, the gig paid very nicely and has led to loads of spin-off work.

I know its not a hot-spot for directors and producers but there are a lot of wannabe\'s on these sorts of fan and film sites and connections can be quickly established. Some may prove pointless, others more fruitful.

Another place to make connections is through TriggerStreet.com. Lots of short films there. The rules demand that the director/producer own screening rights to the music they use, so there\'s a real need to be filled. There\'s everything from cr@p to solid amateur work to 35mm film with full lighting rigs, booms and cranes. Certainly more opportunity to do stuff for free than for pay there, but you may make a carreer connection.

Best of luck.

Huh? So according to their rules, you have to give all your rights away and you\'re lucky if you get paid? Did I misread something here?
    -Hudson

You may find work hereFrom paying to free)

http://www.mandy.com/

Mark

Originally posted by Hudson:
    Huh? So according to their rules, you have to give all your rights away and you\'re lucky if you get paid? Did I misread something here?
    -Hudson
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nothing like that. I may have been technically incorrect, when I wrote \"screening rights\". The bottom line is that they don\'t want you to just rip a CD for your music. And they don\'t want to find out that they can\'t show the video at a film festival down the road because of ownership issues. If they find ripped CD music behind your video, it gets removed from the site, unless you can show that you paid the artist for the right to use the music.

What I don\'t know is how an ASCAP or BMI royalty scheme fits in with all this. For more details, have your lawyer read the TriggerStreet rules. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: regarding getting paid, that\'s up to you and the director/producer. TriggerStreet just hosts the material, provides methods for people to do reviews, and holds contests. They have had screenings at Toronto and Sundance. They also have a screenplay area, and a number of those screenplays have been optioned. (They are then removed from the site.)

It\'s the usual deal for short films: you\'re lucky if anyone gets paid. But you may get noticed, make connections and get the breakthrough deal. And you just might make some great art.

Composer Job market?

I\'m a composer who\'s looking for more jobs -- I\'m working full-time as a sound designer, but don\'t have time to do the running around and find out who\'s looking for composing gigs, etc.

Is there a website/board wheere hire-ers can meet hire-ees for composers? A place where people can trade MP3s of their work, etc?

Any ideas? Maybe we could all learn something from this.

Silent

THX!!!, Guys,
    Very Usefull information..
    I´ll Knock some dors there...

D.M

Originally posted by MrSilent:
    I\'m a composer who\'s looking for more jobs -- I\'m working full-time as a sound designer, but don\'t have time to do the running around and find out who\'s looking for composing gigs, etc.

Is there a website/board wheere hire-ers can meet hire-ees for composers? A place where people can trade MP3s of their work, etc?

Any ideas? Maybe we could all learn something from this.

Silent
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Join the Film Music Network:

http://www.filmmusicworld.com/

Anything like this for the UK?

Man, I\'m surprised at all the low/no paying gigs. Jeez, I know you have to start somewhere but free ???.

Go Back to forum