• Register
  • Help

Topic: Your Live Performance Stories

Your Live Performance Stories

I was wondering if people would share some stories about how they got their music performed live, and if possible how Garritan or other samples helped in the process. If your music was already recorded but still used in a public setting, please share also.

Re: Your Live Performance Stories

I have written pieces in Finale then rendered them in Sonar X2. I have submitted works to local societies and colleges and some have been accepted for performance. My brother does much more this way. He is a member of the Cleveland Composer's Guild and gets more information on groups looking for new music. He often passes this information onto me. I also have friends who are conductors and teachers in universities and they will sometimes ask me to submit a piece after hearing some of my demos on CD or mp3.

It really is a gratifying experience hearing your music performed by real musicians. I would suggest checking with local colleges and universities and find any such groups in them that are looking for music. I am not oftened performed but those experiences stand out in my memory.

Good luck and I hope others respond with more ideas.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Re: Your Live Performance Stories

It’s not exactly “my” music as it was written by Porter, Gershwin, Goodman, Dorsey and a host of Tin Pan alley writers, but the actual arrangements were 100% my own. So maybe it counts as “my” music.

In Feb 2006 I took on the task of Musical Director for a forthcoming summer review, a 4-hand stage show covering the music and dance of the period from the 1920's through to the end of the Big Band era. I was handed the "score" from a previous version done in 1982 with only a piano and a drummer- it consisted mostly of fourth and fifth generation photocopies of Fake book sheets and several dozen pages of hand-scribbled staves best read only by the person who scratched them out in pencil 15 years earlier. The producers had agreed on a budget large enough for a 9-pce combo. There were 127 numbers or fragments of numbers in the 95 minute production. Included were songs from “We’re In The Money” to “Ce-ment Mixer” to the tight harmonies of “Moonlight Serenade” and many (many) more.

I had Print Music 2005 and ninety-odd days.

For three months, I had no life. There was the day job, the arrangements and not much else. We went camping with friends and I took along my laptop and some headphones, staying up after the campfire was out most nights to get a few more bits worked out. I made it. Barely, but I made it. The arrangements were done by mid June and parts printed off. Four part vocals, plus piano, bass, drums, guitar, 3 horns (C trumpet, Bb clarinet and sax), and two string parts to be played on synth by me.

When it came time in late June to start rehearsing the band, there were a few clunkers (I have issues with reeds, as it turns out), but I can happily say that the PM scores were usable, readable by these pros, and thanks to a pre-Garritan installation of an old Roland SC55 app to provide the sounds as I wrote, the arrangements sounded pretty much like I thought they should.

Leading that combo for the summer production is a career highlight for me. I'd been the bandleader for other, smaller theatrical productions before, but this was different These guys (and gals) were playing and singing my arrangements, singing my harmonies and I was in the front making it happen. The show garnered some good reviews, and one or two of them mentioned the lively and enthusiastic band.

It actually was kinda trippy.

In a very good way.

And given the chance, I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Go Back to forum