• Register
  • Help

Topic: Presence in giga instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Presence in giga instruments?

I\'m not sure if it\'s my setup, the samples, or the software, but many of my giga samples seem to have less presence than those recorded for other samplers. For example, if I load the Maestro Malmsjo piano (a soundfont) into VSampler, it sounds very distinct and clear. If I load the same instrument into Giga, it seems more a little muffled. (Hard to describe, really: a little more distant, a little less as if the notes are developing fully.)

This is not just a matter of Giga not handling sound fonts well. My native Giga instruments also seem muffled to the same degree. Obviously, the Giga instruments are usually more complex in sound, but there\'s something missing.
    Does anyone else have this experience? Are samples in VSampler and other soft samplers more fully there? (If not, it\'s probably my setup...)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Presence in giga instruments?

What is your setup?

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    What is your setup?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Different sample formats use different pre-emphasis. Could that be an issue here?

clueless

Bruce:

My soundcard, a Terratec EWS88-D, doesn\'t allow direct Giga monitoring of Giga, but does allow me to monitor waves. (So samples from VSampler take a more direct route than those from Giga.) Through lightpipe from the card, I use a Fostex VF-16, 16 bit digital multitack to plug my headphones into when I play Giga instruments.

The lack of presence I hear may come from the Fostex VF-16\'s DA converter or its dithering alogrhythms, or it may come from Giga.

Should I just get a new soundcard that lets me monitor directly from Giga? (Have you played the same samples in both Giga and VSampler?)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Jake,

Well, that would be the an obvious issue. If your monitoring from two different sets of converters, many different factors could be coming into play.

I have not noticed any difference in quality between Giga and other soft-samplers like you describe (with the same sounds).

Bruce

Almost all samplers (hardware and software) use some kind of compression on their output. The reason for this is that it is assumed that, although people want to be able to play 160 voices simultaneously, they don\'t want a single voice to only have a \'160th\' of the sonic energy of an instance of full polyphony. So they put a bit of compression on the output of the sampler. It reduces the dynamic range, but people don\'t complain about the sampler being \'too soft\'. With older soundcards which had quite high noise floors, this also has the advantage of keeping the profile of the sampler above the noise of the soundcard.

Gigasampler/studio doesn\'t utilise any compression algorithm on its output. The downside of this is that compared to other samplers on similar settings, Gigastudio has lower average output. The plus side of this is that you get a much wider dynamic response, which is especially useful if you have a good soundcard.

I can\'t help wondering if it\'s the compression on the other samplers which is making them seem \'more developed\'. Maybe it\'s worth recording a piece using the piano from both samplers, and setting the VUs so that both recordings are at identical level. It\'ll mean cranking up the Giga recording, but you\'ll get a clearer idea of how the sound of the two samplers really differss.

Go Back to forum