• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sonar X3 demo killed my Sonar 8.5

Share/Bookmark

Sonar X3 demo killed my Sonar 8.5 - SOLVED

2/4/14 EDIT: With the help of Michael UK, I was able to make System Restore work, taking things back to before I installed the apparently corrupted X3 demo file. All is well. I'm leaving my original tale of woe as originally written.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent almost 12 hours today trying to fix something completely disastrous that happened on my computer, but to no avail.

Today was the last day of a very good sale for Sonar X3 Producer at $150. I shook everything out of my penny bank, and decided that as much as I detest the X series interface, that I would go ahead and get the program - it does have a lot of great sounding features, and is highly touted by reviewers and users. I have every version I've ever had of Cakewalk/Sonar on this computer, so knew I would still be able to use whatever flavor I wanted, in case I didn't make X3 my main program.

My mistake. - my BIG mistake.

I downloaded the X3 demo this morning to make sure I could live with the full program.-- It installed - but would never open. Big error message. Reinstalled--same problem. Shrugged my shoulders and deleted the demo.

---In the wake of that - my beloved Sonar 8.5, my Go To Program for years now - no longer functions.

ALL other versions of Sonar I have on this machine still open and work fine - It's just the only one I like, 8.5 which now has this dreaded error message when I try to open it:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error

Program: C: etc

This application has requested the Runtime to termininate in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

We've all seen that at various times. But now after the most grueling day ever trying to fix a computer problem, and getting good help from experts at the Sonar Forum-there's no change.

The list goes on and on of things I've done. All Windows updates, uninstall, reinstall, update Visual C++ for all years - Nothing makes a difference.

I'm just here to share the pain. Many of you know that Sonar 8.5 is my Go To Program. It's nothing short of devastating to have it broken. I don't expect anyone to come up with a magical solution.

Here I am - Either having to use Sonar LE (toy program) or Home Studio 6 (very limited--wouldn't consider the HS 7 I have, that was a joke) or the absolutely dreaded and half crippled X1 that's been gathering dust on the hard drive. Those are my choices. ALL of them work, just not 8.5, the only version I like, and which I've tricked out for years until it was my screaming great program.

I haven't been this distraught over anything in a long time.

Randy

Re: Sonar X3 demo killed my Sonar 8.5

That doesn't sound like fun at all. WOW!!!

I didn't see or missed it but did you try a system Restore? That may bring you back to a time before the visual C++ was changed. I know that is probably to simple and answer but hey, it's worth a shot.

I don't suppose support and Cakewalk would help with and old program and getting it back. Did you drop a note at the cakewalk forum asking for suggestions?

Lots of luck and I hope you get it working again.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    That doesn't sound like fun at all. WOW!!!

I didn't see or missed it but did you try a system Restore? That may bring you back to a time before the visual C++ was changed. I know that is probably to simple and answer but hey, it's worth a shot.

I don't suppose support and Cakewalk would help with and old program and getting it back. Did you drop a note at the cakewalk forum asking for suggestions?

Lots of luck and I hope you get it working again.
    Thanks for your post, Rich - I'm really REALLY devastated. Here I was, ready to bite the bullet and buy X3 Producer - but their demo completely screwed me up.

I did try system restore, twice - After waiting for each restore to happen - the message came up that it failed. It won't work, so I can't go back to before the demo.

I have a thread at the Sonar Forum, and people are trying to be helpful- nothing works. I can't use Cakewalk support, because they no longer offer assistance for pre-X versions.

At this point, 13 hours into trying everything under the sun, I cannot imagine anything else that could possibly fix this. I can't use Sonar anymore - at least, not the version I want. Frickin' X1 still opens, but I can't stomach it.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Wow ... super-bummer!

I was going to suggest the same thing I see Rich just posted. I always create a new restore point before up-grading anything, but if I'm not mistaken, Windows will do this anyway?? Certainly worth a try.

I guess the obvious, but time-consuming thing would be to completely un-install 8.5 and then reinstall it.

I just hate when programs don't play nice with your environment and wreck havoc ... good luck.

Frank

Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

That is horrible Randy... Needless to say I will be avoiding Sonar X3. Maybe it is time for the big reformat When was the last time you did it? I try to do mine usually 2-3 times a year. It sucks (backing everything up and then having to resinstall it and then finding out you forgot to back up something lol), but sometimes you just gotta do it!

Speaking of demos LOL! I just tried Magix Samplitude about 20 mins ago, and it has nice interface and all, but how the heck do you edit midi? I use the import midi option and it doesn't even import... so bam, wiped off my computer. I really don't think anything is going to beat Sonar 8.5 at this point (IMO and for what I need it for). The way I edit midi Sonar 8.5 seems to be the best. I have tried demos of other programs such a FL Studio (second best), samplitude, XL1, XL2, Cubase, but nothing compares to the almighty Sonar 8.5!

I wish you the best of luck man, if you really can't get it fixed, you really should just reformat, your computer will run a lot better to with a clean refreshing!

Regards,

Richard

Thank you Frank and Richard, I appreciate your sympathy. I can't even think of beginning to bore you with everything I've tried -

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    ...I always create a new restore point before up-grading anything...

I guess the obvious, but time-consuming thing would be to completely un-install 8.5 and then reinstall it...
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled 8.5 several times over now. Restore point - I did (3--wait, 4 times now), but it's broken also. It wont' go, even though I set it up beforehand. After waiting for the 1/2 hour or whatever each time it's taken, it comes up the same - fail. In the process I've seen a BSOD--extremely rare to see these days - Plus, one time it couldn't find my desktop, only came up black.

There's no way I'm going to do a reformat - It took me two weeks to set up everything from scratch last time I did that. And it's absurd to do it all again - All I did was run a FRICKIN' demo.

I'm backing away from my computer for some time now - have no idea when I'll have the heart to fire it up again for music again.

Randy

Since it sounds like you don't have a better alternative than reformatting and reinstalling, why don't you try this first: Download and install the free version of Advanced System Care 7 (http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html) and run the IO bit Uninstaller app?

A few caveats. ASC tries to install a Google toolbar and a couple of other apps. Make sure you have those options unchecked (unless you want them). If you're given the option to install the Uninstaller, you wan that one. However, if you forget, the program makes it easy for you to go back and get anything you want. And the uninstaller makes it simple to get rid of anything you don't.

I'd first run the full suite of tools, except the disc defrag and fix, because they take time and you probably don't need them to rectify your particular problem. This should fix any registry conflicts and outdated runtime and resource libraries in Windows. Then run the Uninstaller and select the version of Sonar you want to remove.

IO-bit Uninstaller works better when you have it running BEFORE you install new programs, but it still may help if it wasn't running when you installed the flaky version of Sonar. If you have tried everything else, it's worth a shot (because the IO-bit app is free, easy, and generally pretty good at fixing things that other apps don't).

Allegro Data Solutions

Hi Randy

sorry about your troubles. I suspect there is more to the story than just Sonar and would recommend running something like http://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ to scan for viruses or malware. They often attack the VC++ run time libraries.

Just a suggestion.

Jim

Yikes, Randy! I am so sorry to hear this. The one suggestion I can make is to go to the uninstall programs window and uninstall everything that is new since you installed the Sonar demo.

If that doesn't work, you may have to start uninstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ one at a time. One of those has to be corrupted. That can be dicey, but if Sonar 8.5 isn't going to work minus a full reinstall of Windows and everything else, you may look in that direction. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I sure feel your pain. Take care, my friend.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Randy, I had this once. Nothing helped, until: - works only if your backups are on external HD's.

• I applied the disaster Windows CD (made at initial Windows setup). It sets up the system for a clean setup of the OS.
    • Next I went to Control Panel for recovery of the latest System Image, I'd backed up.
    • Next I recovered from that latest backup all the setups, settings, personal libraries and more.

I always keep my personal data on a separate internal HD ( I have more of those).
    The System HD only contains the system.
    Hopefully your latest system backup doesn't have flaws. In that case there is nothing you can do, then go back to anthoer backup earlier made. I always keep three generations of backups and once in a while I will backup the whole system to two 1 Tb external HD's (takes a whole day).

Success

Raymond

Go Back to forum