• Register
  • Help

Topic: WARNING: for Win 98SE or ME users with IBM 75 GXP drives

Share/Bookmark

WARNING: for Win 98SE or ME users with IBM 75 GXP drives

Caught this over at www.overclockers.com, there have been hard drive corruption with the above combination IBM drives and operating systems. Evidently, when shutting off the computer, the operating system shuts down before the IBM hard drive is ready for it to, causing crashes that can only be fixed by a low level reformat of the hard drive. There is a Microsoft patch for this which is linked in this article at overclockers.com. As I know a few of you may be using this combo in your rigs I hope you can use the patch before having to reformat.

Re: WARNING: for Win 98SE or ME users with IBM 75 GXP drives

That link doesn\'t seem to be working. Has anyone successfully d/l\'ed that patch?

Re: WARNING: for Win 98SE or ME users with IBM 75 GXP drives

In this case, it appears that the OS issues a \"FLUSH-CACHE\" during the shutdown process, the contents of the memory cache are written to the hard drive. However, during this process, data may be written to the hard disk\'s onboard cache, but because of a delay in the drive\'s onboard BIOS, not to the disk itself. When this occurs, the data is lost from the cache when the computer turns off.

All the update does is to introduce support for an artificial delay in the shutdown to allow the HD\'s BIOS to complete its own cache flush to disk.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Go Back to forum