• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to layer sounds in aria multi

Share/Bookmark

How to layer sounds in aria multi

Hey y'all,
    I'd like to layer a choir from GPO and another from IO...make my own "ensemble" if you will.
    I have the 2 channels loaded in the multi player but I can only hear one at a time (by selecting it in the aria mixer)...can anyone tell me how I can mix the 2 like one can in the IO ensembles?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB

Re: How to layer sounds in aria multi

Look at channels and output pairs in ARIA.

Just a suggestion,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Look at channels and output pairs in ARIA.

Just a suggestion,

Raymond
    Sorry Raymond but by channels you mean the channels in the Aria Player mixer gui?
    And I don't have a clue as to what you mean by output pairs.
    Thanks for your patience,
    GRB

I understand that you wish to use GPO choir in ARIA and and other choir, NOT in Aria?
    In your sequencer, ( I do not know what you are using), create two MIDI channels with the same data, and they will sound as a mix of the two, you can adjust each separately of course.
    If the second choir is also in ARIA, you can set them in ARIA to the same output, 1/2 for example, also to MIDI channel 1, and it should sound mixed on Midi channel 1 in your sequencer.

Ted

Reading your question again, IO means instant orchestra, so both of your choirs are in ARIA. If you set up the two as I suggested, and play the ARIA keyboard, only the selected choir will sound, but the mixed choir will sound together in your sequencer's output.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Hey y'all,
    I'd like to layer a choir from GPO and another from IO...make my own "ensemble" if you will.
    I have the 2 channels loaded in the multi player but I can only hear one at a time (by selecting it in the aria mixer)...can anyone tell me how I can mix the 2 like one can in the IO ensembles?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB
    There are some things to keep in mind here, I am going to start with first principles so apologies if you know this already.There is a difference between the MIDI channel for input and the Audio channels for output. In Aria you can make any of the 16 "instrument bins" receive data on any MIDI channel. You could for example, set all 16 bins to MIDI channel one and create a monster mash (up that is). If you hit the Aria keyboard you only get one note--a MIDI keyboard would sound all 16 (or DAW, etc). If you look at the first "bin" you will see it is on channel one. If you 'click' on the number, a drop down appears and you can change the channel.

So, how does this apply to you? Load up all the choirs you want in Aria and then set all the channels to one. If you use GPO and Instant Orch. together, make sure you turn the GIO Expression Switch to ON in the Controls Tab. Then all the CC1 and Velocity data with work together correctly (other wise the choirs will be all out of balance). Now a single MIDI track or input will trigger both "bins" at the same time--creating the mashup you are after.

The other option you have is to treat each Choir as its own instrument track--completely separate; I don't think this is what you wanted.

Jim

Thanks very much guys, after reading your posts I sorta recall actually doing this before but I think the following is why I was confused...
    "If you 'click' on the number, a drop down appears and you can change the channel."
    I remember doing this before but nothing happens at all when I click on any of the channel numbers in the mixer now.

"If you use GPO and Instant Orch. together, make sure you turn the GIO Expression Switch to ON in the Controls Tab."
    There is no options on the controls tab ...I see only black space in between the 16 instrument channels at the top and the keyboard on the bottom.

I thought I finally had everything installed correctly but maybe not...I'm running player v1.620 and engine v1.670...thta's the most current right?
    Thanks again guys,
    GRB

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Thanks very much guys, after reading your posts I sorta recall actually doing this before but I think the following is why I was confused...
    "If you 'click' on the number, a drop down appears and you can change the channel."
    I remember doing this before but nothing happens at all when I click on any of the channel numbers in the mixer now.

"If you use GPO and Instant Orch. together, make sure you turn the GIO Expression Switch to ON in the Controls Tab."
    There is no options on the controls tab ...I see only black space in between the 16 instrument channels at the top and the keyboard on the bottom.

I thought I finally had everything installed correctly but maybe not...I'm running player v1.620 and engine v1.670...thta's the most current right?
    Thanks again guys,
    GRB
    I provided a PDF on Dropbox with the screen shots that explain what I meant. Hopefully this clears this up.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I provided a PDF on Dropbox with the screen shots that explain what I meant...
    A big Plus One for your post with the PDF, Jim. It's been a Super Bowl Sunday here today, that's winding down, I check the Forum, read this thread - and now see that you've made everything clear in your PDF. There it is - Setting the MIDI Channel, using the Expression Switch for IO, everything that Randy needed to know, as far as I can determine.

The Other Randy

Thank you so much for going through so much trouble Jim...I feel it will not only help me but others in the future as well.
    As it turns out I was indeed trying to change the channel in the wrong place (by clicking the numbers just below the mute/solo buttons) however when I load a couple of choirs (one from GPO and one from IO) and click on the controls tab just below the info tab on the right hand side of the gui it is blank and not like your screen cap.

Go Back to forum