• Register
  • Help

Topic: No playable clave notes in JABB

Share/Bookmark

No playable clave notes in JABB

I have just switched over to Sonar X3 and was going through some old compositions and decided to take the claves out of TTS-1 and use the JABB claves (they are under Notation>08 Drums and Percussion>Percussion>03 Blocks>n-Clave). When I select them, the keyboard at the bottom of Aria player is completely grayed out, which I believe indicates that there are no playable notes. Does anyone else have this problem? I realize it probably isn't a real common instrument. I've never had this happen with any instrument before. Could it be that the playable notes are either above or below the range of the Aria keyboard? I have looked in the JABB manual, and it makes no mention of anything different.

Re: No playable clave notes in JABB

Hi mkuehlok2,

I can't help you with the notation flavor of JaBB, but can confirm that the clave in JaBB's "Gourds, Blocks, Bells, Misc" works fine (I'm using it in a Latin arrangement right now!). It's MIDI note No. 61 (C#).

Good luck ... maybe someone using the notation version can chime in here for you.

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Why are you using the notation versions? TTS-1 sounds like you are in Sonar, if so you should be using the "regular" versions, not the notation version.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Just checked my step in Sonar X3. I am using the clave in my current piece.

JABB -> Standard -> Drum and Percussion -> 03 -> Blocks -> Clave.

Yes the keyboard in the Aria player is grayed out, bu the calve sound is there in C#5 for me in the Sonar Piano Roll view.
    //
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    Just checked my step in Sonar X3. I am using the clave in my current piece.

JABB -> Standard -> Drum and Percussion -> 03 -> Blocks -> Clave.

Yes the keyboard in the Aria player is grayed out, bu the calve sound is there in C#5 for me in the Sonar Piano Roll view.
    The issue with the grey keys is that the clave is mapped to C#, a black key. If you look real close you should see that one of the C# on the keyboard has a bit a white shading on it, that is the clave.
    //
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    The issue with the grey keys is that the clave is mapped to C#, a black key. If you look real close you should see that one of the C# on the keyboard has a bit a white shading on it, that is the clave.
    Whoa! VERY nicely done Ed! Thanks! It doesn't completely solve my problem because I was thinking that claves usually come in a set rather than just one. I thought we had a set in my high school band, and I'm pretty sure they were called claves, but maybe they were something else. Since I need two tones (I'm adding the sound of a horse clopping) the single clave isn't going to help me here. I do have World Instruments, so I'll have to hunt around in there. Last resort I'll use TTS-1, but I was trying to keep it all in Garritan.

The reason I use the notation versions is that I can usually trip the key switches on and off by adding notes right in my MIDI lines rather then trying to manually turn them on and off within the player.

Quote Originally Posted by mkuehlok2 View Post
    Whoa! VERY nicely done Ed! Thanks! It doesn't completely solve my problem because I was thinking that claves usually come in a set rather than just one. I thought we had a set in my high school band, and I'm pretty sure they were called claves, but maybe they were something else. Since I need two tones (I'm adding the sound of a horse clopping) the single clave isn't going to help me here. I do have World Instruments, so I'll have to hunt around in there. Last resort I'll use TTS-1, but I was trying to keep it all in Garritan.

The reason I use the notation versions is that I can usually trip the key switches on and off by adding notes right in my MIDI lines rather then trying to manually turn them on and off within the player.
    Hi again,

Claves are just two thick wooden sticks you strike together ... they are not considered to be pitched percussion. Woodblocks are also not tuned percussion, but possibly alternating them with the claves you could get a clip-clop sound although I can't hear where claves would be good for that (too high).

Possibly what you were thinking about were temple blocks, which are considered pitched (they come in different sizes/pitches), but I don't see any in JaBB.

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi again,

Claves are just two thick wooden sticks you strike together ... they are not considered to be pitched percussion. Woodblocks are also not tuned percussion, but possibly alternating them with the claves you could get a clip-clop sound although I can't hear where claves would be good for that (too high).

Possibly what you were thinking about were temple blocks, which are considered pitched (they come in different sizes/pitches), but I don't see any in JaBB.

Frank
    Thanks, Frank. What we had were a set of round, carved, hollow wooden balls of different sizes. I believe there were three or four (maybe even five) of them. They had a wide slit half way through as well as holes drilled in them. I remember them because we used them for "Sleigh Ride." I thought the director called them claves, but obviously that wasn't correct. I've never seen anything else like them.

For anybody interested, I just found what it really was that we had in our high school band. They were Chinese temple blocks. If you're interested to see what they look like, just Google "Chinese temple blocks" and you will see them. In addition, they are found in Garritan World Instruments. Guess I took on my quota of new information for today!

Go Back to forum