• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hmmmm..... Just a thought.

Share/Bookmark

Hmmmm..... Just a thought.

"In the future we will not know 'song structure' as what it is now, but more of a non linear communication using light color sound and modulations of frequency"

Re: Hmmmm..... Just a thought.

Is it your Thought?

Anyway, yours or not, I think... maybe. Or maybe not: multisensorial communication is already in place but it didn't change the rules of music... almost the opposite, it drove the rules of video language to follow the musical rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    "In the future we will not know 'song structure' as what it is now, but more of a non linear communication using light color sound and modulations of frequency"
    Sounds rather good to me! But, something like Fabio was suggesting in his reply, I think that what we've seen is that the music the public mostly hears now (movie soundtracks, pop music) has become simpler and simpler, less sophisticated, more conservative, not as abstract as what that quote is picturing.

Randy

The quote was from a lecture by Dr. Phillip Scott Smith, a professor of physics who maintained that music fundamentally serves no purpose but is being slowly (electronically) being brought kicking and screaming into the practical world. It serves as a reminder that the arts are frequently misunderstood. He also insisted that Bach and Mozart were terrible examples of music without purpose and were celebrated not for their music but rather for their understandings of the mathematical intricacies.

During post graduate studies he and I argued these points well into the morning - at which time he surrendered to a deep alcoholic sleep. During class the next week I mentioned that I figured I won by default, but he would have none of it. I also remember thinking I may have endangered my degree.

I suspect the Richard Feynman would have laughed in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    The quote was from a lecture by Dr. Phillip Scott Smith, a professor of physics who maintained that music fundamentally serves no purpose but is being slowly (electronically) being brought kicking and screaming into the practical world. It serves as a reminder that the arts are frequently misunderstood. He also insisted that Bach and Mozart were terrible examples of music without purpose and were celebrated not for their music but rather for their understandings of the mathematical intricacies.

During post graduate studies he and I argued these points well into the morning - at which time he surrendered to a deep alcoholic sleep. During class the next week I mentioned that I figured I won by default, but he would have none of it. I also remember thinking I may have endangered my degree.

Gotta watch those "Physics Guys" Robert. They think they have it all figured out. What would be a prudent endeavor for them would be to back off from the meaning and effects that music provides for and upon humans and stay with studying the sound waves of the "Masters" and why they have enhanced our lives for so long a time. They might just change their tune (pun intended).

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I'm curious as to what he meant about "music without purpose". There are a number of ways to respond, but perhaps I am misunderstanding what he meant - did he mean all music, or just Bach and Mozart (as prime examples)?

I have no problem with people outside the field having opinions, but I can barely count (so high) the number of times I have had a physicist/math person/scientist tell me - after a concert - "you know what your problem is? You need to blank..." It was always something about acoustics, instrument design, why-haven't-you-considered-this-pairing-of-instruments type of thing. The working assumption was that as performers we were just a bunch of...well, better not to go down that road.

But I am really curious to know what he meant.

I am puzzled, until further notice...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Seems like Doc Smith wanted to make a point:

"Bach and Mozart were terrible examples of music without purpose."

meaning:

"Bach and Mozart were great examples of music with purpose." I'll buy that.....

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack,

Ah, got it. Your reading make sense.

But what is "music without purpose"? It is a curious remark, whether or not Bach or Mozart are being exempted from the designation...

Thanks for the intelligent response!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Cool Re: Hmmmm..... Just a thought.

I'm not surprised the discussion was lasting all night long...

Every Musician, even if not a musicologist, knows about Bach and Mozart being so diferent in "purpose" and "understandings of the mathematical intricacies."

But being so different in every single component of their human and musical life, Mozart and Bach have something great in common: they are recognized frequently as "the greatest composer ever".

This universal appreciation, across centuries, it's the evidence itself that music has very little to do with science, and quite a lot to do with emotions and soul.

And now just a thought: finally an artist is a scientist of the emotion, isn't he?

Go Back to forum