• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best sampled electric/acoustic bass?

Share/Bookmark

Best sampled electric/acoustic bass?

Hello everybody,

who do you think makes the best sampled electric/acoustic bass? I\'m looking for something that sustains long and sounds big, round and of course good.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Rick

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Best sampled electric/acoustic bass?

Hi Rick,

I have many favorites, but the ones I have found most useful over and over again are these:

1) Larry Seyer Acoustic Bass

I cannot get enough of this one. The release triggered body resonance is simply superb, and the tone is round, evolving, and in your face. Pedal-down playing gets you harmonics, which are fabulous, and the key ranges outside of the bass tessitura are full of glisses up and down, muted thunks, etc.

I think it is one of the best Giga libraries ever made, and one of the libraries I\'ll pull out when showing someone GigaStudio for the first time.

2) Dan Dean Bass Collection

This is one of the best bargain libraries you\'ll find. The tones are all dead-on, and you get a staggering number of classic basses, and a few rare treats (an excellent Hofner and a Guild Ashbory \"rubber band\" bass among these). Don\'t let the one-depth samples fool you...there is a bass here for almost any occasion. I can\'t get away from the word \"tone\" because if you know anything about basses, you will be able to guess the bass being played within a couple of notes. Not to be missed.

3) Scarbee J-Slap

I have to admit, I loathe slap bass. It does nothing for me. I like a little funk, don\'t get me wrong. Chuckie and Pops make it work. Marcus, on the other hand, made a stinkin career out of his shrill metallic thing that eats the whole bandwidth of the groove. I got totally worn out on the sound, and still have not recovered.

But plenty of people like it, and this is where to get it. You won\'t find a more detailed collection of slap tones, and all you have to do is listen to the demos to realize this library will satisfy your virtual Marcus Miller cravings.

4) The original GigaSampler Rickenbacker

GigaSampler used to come bundled with a Rickenbacker bass. I have no idea why it is no longer bundled with GigaStudio, but it was a great sample.

Bruce wrote:

4) The original GigaSampler Rickenbacker

GigaSampler used to come bundled with a Rickenbacker bass. I have no idea why it is no longer bundled with GigaStudio, but it was a great sample.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That was Suzean van Buskirk\'s Rickenbacker 4001. She still owns it, but rarely plays it anymore. It was her main axe when she was on the scene in LA in the 80s. I don\'t know if it\'s in the current crop of included gig files. The gold release CDs seem to get a frequent rotation of representative samples and demos. Anyone interested should send an inquiry via e-mail to:

custser@tascam.com

Kevin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by pmuse:
    Bruce wrote:

</font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> 4) The original GigaSampler Rickenbacker

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That was Suzean van Buskirk\'s Rickenbacker 4001. She still owns it, but rarely plays it anymore. It was her main axe when she was on the scene in LA in the 80s. I don\'t know if it\'s in the current crop of included gig files. The gold release CDs seem to get a frequent rotation of representative samples and demos. Anyone interested should send an inquiry via e-mail to:

custser@tascam.com

Kevin
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This one should be permanent in the rotation. It\'s a classic sound, all the way, and a nice punchy sample. Not an all-purpose bass by a long shot, but for \"that\" sound, it\'s dead on.

hello Bruce,
    Thanks for the info., i don\'t care for slap bass either. i\'m planning on giving auralex a call soon, that is just as soon as I finish making my One recording room the way i want it. When I get that worked out I\'m gonna make a drawing. How about that phone #?

Kevin, thanks for the tip, i\'ll give Tascam a message.

Thanks,
    Rick

Hi RickD:
    \"i don\'t care for slap bass either.\"

I make a fingered too. Check it out at www.scarbee.com

Thomas

http://yellowtools.com - they make a good picked bass and the price is right too. Look for Ebass Volumes 1 & 2. Several basses on each for about $135.00 or so.

You can try the Pedulla Thunderbass from Worra\'s Place. It\'s nice and it\'s free......

Originally posted by Worra:
    You can try the Pedulla Thunderbass from Worra\'s Place. It\'s nice and it\'s free......
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks!

Rick

Originally posted by Worra:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This bass sounds really good!

Go Back to forum