• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Ghost of the Grandioso

The Ghost of the Grandioso

The Ghost of the Grandioso

A ghost has been reported. Several Grandioso Bosendorfer users have reported to hear strange sounds when playing this library after midnight. Some reports speak of voices, some of alarms and others of silent whispers. Playing the library turns out to be addictive. Many users reported to have been playing the whole night. We at Post Musical Instruments tried finding the same sounds. We tried several hours but couldn’t find the ghosts. Maybe they only show themselves at midnight?
    Today we received a report from one of the Grandioso Bosendorfer owners that between the
    1.267 samples this library has, there is one sample that has a clear alarm bell/Dutch telephone ring in it after 4 seconds.

Play the A3 at velocities above 120 in the WET patches and hold the pedal, wait for 4 seconds and…voila…the alarm bell ghost appears.

For those buyers that weren’t looking for this specific special effects sound we decided to press a new production run of the Grandioso Bosendorfer 290. We’ll send out new disks to all the current users. All future customers will receive the new pressed version.

Current users that don’t want to wait until the disk comes back from duplication: you can replace the A3 in the “128” folder by the replacement WAV file that can be found at:
    http://www.postmusicalinstruments.com/actions/a3.exe a self extracting 2 MB download.

To replace the sample, extract the sample, open the Bosendorfer Gig in the Editor (don’t start the editor within GST, you better start it without GST running) and select the A3 sample in the “128” samples folder. Right-click on the A3 sample and select “Replace sample”. Then browse to the place where you extracted the new A3 sample. Then Save the whole Gig (this can take 10 to 20 minutes). Keep on making music and searching for ghost after midnight.

Michiel Post

Re: The Ghost of the Grandioso

We simply try to offer the best service we can in order to get happy customers. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Our next library will be filled with unexpected FX-noises only.

Ahh, a real Dutchtone (pun intended - phone provider here)

Great ambience on the phone ring BTW! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the support!

A perfect example of a \'doing the right thing!\'

Re-pressing the run and re-shipping is NOT cheap, I\'ve got to assume this eats pretty heavily into your margin.

Thanks for caring, Michiel.

Just one thing I would like to point OUT:

HOW THE H*LL you know that I\'m playing Grandioso Bosendorfer all night long?!? Are you spyin\' me?!? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Just jokin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanx Michiel, great service. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Michiel,

I also noticed that the phone ring appears on the G# preceding the A3. Does that mean that all notes were not sampled? Is there a reason for this?

When you go into the sample pool area of the editor, you can find which samples are used.
    Generally we used the white keys only.
    This conserves disk space (and thus increases performance) so that we were able to capture all the velocity layers of both WET and DRY and bring them together in one gig file.
    This was one of my concepts when creating this library; I wanted to have ALL the samples needed for the reproduction of the Bosendorfer in one file, not multiple gigs.
    Another tradeoff we faced was the length of the samples. Some low notes were reduced in time; where the original sound could decay for a minute or longer, we reduced that to about 25 seconds, depending on the tone of the note. This conserves a lot of disk usage. The complete gig file is exaclty 2 GB which is the maximum Windows allows.

Michiel Post

Thanks for the explanations Michiel!

I am already a user of the PMI Steinway D, and I have some interest in getting the Bosendorfer too. However, the above post has made me start wondering about something. I would be grateful if you could clarify:

The overall size of the Steinway sound library is about 5GB, and there are three gig files in it: classic (1.8GB), compressed (1.8GB) and distant (1.2 GB). The classic and compressed files contain 5 or 6 sampled velocities in both pedal-up and pedal-down, plus release samples for pedal-up, and (mostly) only the white-key samples are used.

The overall size of the Bosendorfer sound library is apparently only 2GB. Nevertheless, it is said to have as many as 8 sampled velocities, pedal-up and pedal-down, both dry and wet versions, and release samples. I am very surprised that you were able to fit all this into a single file only slightly larger than just one of the Steinway files. Surely it should be much bigger (containing several separate files like the Steinway)! I am wondering what compromises you had to make in order to get it so compact (relative to the Steinway that is). Was it only the length of the samples and the number of keys used?

Having said this, I must admit that what really matters is not the size of the file, but how it sounds. From the few demos I have heard, the PMI Bosendorfer does sound very good. But my mind keeps worrying about the arithmetic. Perhaps I am just being too logical!

Go Back to forum