• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Trumpets samples

Share/Bookmark

Best Trumpets samples

What do most consider to be the best trumpet library? I just heard the SAM Horns demo and was really impressed. Is there anything like this for Trumpets? I\'ve heard the Dan Dean Ensemble demos and IMHO the trumpets are the weakest part. (Based on the demo) Even the Quantum Leap trumpets sound a bit synthy.

I\'d love to be able to get that Apollo 13, JFK, Nixon sound. Know what I mean?

Re: Best Trumpets samples

Shadowbox, take a listen to this:

http://www.nwlink.com/~jamieh/jfk.mp3

Is that the sound you are looking for? That is the solo vibrato trumpet from the Dan Dean Solo Brass collection. I played this in straight from the keyboard--no tweaking involved.

Originally posted by Jamieh:
    Shadowbox, take a listen to this:

http://www.nwlink.com/~jamieh/jfk.mp3

Is that the sound you are looking for? That is the solo vibrato trumpet from the Dan Dean Solo Brass collection. I played this in straight from the keyboard--no tweaking involved.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow...did you just happen to have that on file? OR did you just do that? Sounds pretty good. Does it have any cross fading between pp/ff samples via mod wheel. I suppose if not one could program the mod wheel to control cutoff freq. Is the vibrato variable? Nonetheless, I\'m impressed.

I\'m also looking for sections. I picked out Apollo 13 because I just saw it and had it in my mind. And (I think) the first track on the Nixon CD has a great sounding trumpet section.

No, I had that file from when the library first came out and people asked for demos.

The vibrato is not variable, however, there is a series of non-vibrato patches that also have harsher attacks.

I\'m pretty sure these instruments are not crossfaded by default--if I\'m wrong hopefully someone will correct me. There are several velocity layers though, so you can get a pretty expressive performance. And there are some pretty fp patches that are configurable via mod wheel.

The only file I have of the non-vibrato trumpet patch is actually layered with the Quantum Leap Brass trumpet section.

http://www.nwlink.com/~jamieh/raiders.mp3

It sounds really good layered with the new Dan Dean Brass Ensembles too IMO.

I agree, the DDSB trumpets are fantastic - they are performed by Tim Morrison after all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] IMO they are the best thing in the DDSB set.

You\'re right about DDBE and QLB btw..

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Hasen:
    I agree, the DDSB trumpets are fantastic - they are performed by Tim Morrison after all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] IMO they are the best thing in the DDSB set.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tim Morrison? Actually they\'re performed by Al Vizzutti (who also is the principal chair in DDBE). Doesn\'t get better than that.

DDBE trumpets are excellent. The demo doesn\'t show them in their best light.

The DDSB and DDBE are eight velocity-layer libraries, by the way.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Hasen:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tim Morrison? Actually they\'re performed by Al Vizzutti (who also is the principal chair in DDBE). Doesn\'t get better than that.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m beginning to wonder where I got that idea. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I guess they just sound so good but that\'s because Al is so good as well I guess. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If you\'ve never heard Al Vizzutti play, he\'s probably one of the best trumpeters that has ever lived. Literally a freak.

Back when Dan was recording these, he told me that he got Al to agree (although he is listed in the credits under a pseudonym). I thought that was amazing, because if you had asked me the one perfect trumpet player to sample, Al Vizzutti would be the choice. He has this amazing consistency of attack and tone, and his ability to play all over the horn with what seems like no effort. Quite literally, he is one of a kind and a superstar of the instrument...a modern-day Raphael Mendez.

If you have any of the Chick Corea albums recorded in the late seventies through the eighties, Al was the guy doing all those freaky trumpet parts (some on picc). They did a tour in the early eighties, promoting the first Electra Musician release, but as a part of it they did the entire Mat Hatter suite. I will never forget Al just nailing the living snot out of Dear Alice. There were probably 5,000 or so people at the concert, and when the band finished that tune it sounded like a sports event--people went so berserk.

You can\'t go wrong with the trumpet samples from either DDBE or DDSB.

Originally posted by Jamieh:
    The only file I have of the non-vibrato trumpet patch is actually layered with the Quantum Leap Brass trumpet section.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That sounds pretty good too. Thanks. It just shows you how hard it is to get a sense of libraries from the demos.

Go Back to forum