• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Festiva Fanfare (Brass Parts Only So Far)

Share/Bookmark

Festiva Fanfare (Brass Parts Only So Far)

This is a work in progress called "Festiva Fanfare." I am working on a series of fanfares that are different from the normal "here comes the King" fanfare with practices using the traditional harmonic series embellished with triplets. This is the 2nd fanfare in the series. The 1st will be based on what I call "melodic 12-tone," the third's theme will consist of quartal and cluster chords, and the Finale will be based on the use of "illegal" parallel 5ths. Festiva Fanfare has a Latin flare which hopefully adds some spice to this plethora of fanfaric cuisine. Here are the brass parts only. I have not composed the percussion parts yet but will hopefully soon. The fanfare is scored for 1st, 2nd, 3rd trumpets; horns, 1st and 2nd trombone, bass trombone/ optional euphonium, and tuba. All the samples are Garritan. Thank you for listening.
    ~Rod
    https://app.box.com/s/ldy954fxhnvlb7mgshhj
    Edit: I added some pedal low Bb's in tuba part. Let me if it works!

Re: Festiva Fanfare (Brass Parts Only So Far)

Yes, it cries for the percussion. Will sound great with it. also. IMHO, some of the underlying nice things you wrote for the trumpets (I guess) are hidden too much behind the leads, maybe a little cut back on it would allow us to enjoy the piece more.
    Only a suggestion, no criticism intended!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Yes, it cries for the percussion. Will sound great with it. also. IMHO, some of the underlying nice things you wrote for the trumpets (I guess) are hidden too much behind the leads, maybe a little cut back on it would allow us to enjoy the piece more.
    Only a suggestion, no criticism intended!

Ted
    It's great to hear from you Ted! Yes, it does cry out for percussion, doesn't it? I can just picture the timbale player on the side of the stage saying, "Hey man, where's my part?"

Thank you for the suggestion. It's so great getting a fresh pair of ears to take a listen and taking the time to comment. So I appreciate that. I believe I hear the piece from within my head and not with my monitor speakers most of the time, LOL, so it's great for someone to let me know what they are hearing. So it sounds as though my horn players are playing a little too epic. I will tell them to back down then so the trumpet's 16th notes can be heard. Thanks!

~Rodney

Enjoyed this over at the MM Garritan Forum, enjoyed it again here - Spreading that joy around, Rodney - that's a good way to be!

Randy

Rodney! I nice bold piece of work. It is packed with energy. I can imagine it on the big screen in some type of action sequence or something like that. Thanks for posting. Jay

Cool Re: Festiva Fanfare (Brass Parts Only So Far)

I like the "illegal" massive sound! (even if not announcing the King ah ah...)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Enjoyed this over at the MM Garritan Forum, enjoyed it again here - Spreading that joy around, Rodney - that's a good way to be!

Randy
    Well, I try Randy! Thanks for the responses and feedback.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Rodney! I nice bold piece of work. It is packed with energy. I can imagine it on the big screen in some type of action sequence or something like that. Thanks for posting. Jay
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting Jay. That was my main goal with this fanfare, part 2 of the series, to be packed with energy. I am happy to hear that my little fanfare gave you a mental visual as well. That gives me some relief that I am starting to get the effect of "mentally visual energy" that I was trying to conceive, and sometimes this is very hard to do without percussion. So your comments tell me I am on the right path. "Hope that makes since..."
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    I like the "illegal" massive sound! (even if not announcing the King ah ah...)
    Yes, the king would not allow the "illegal" massive sound so these fanfares will be for the people.
    ~Rodney

Hi Rodney,

There's nothing 'illegal' with parallel fifths. In the 17the century minds, they were considered devilish, but before the Baroque era, they were quite common and our rebel friend W.A. Mozart didn't bother too much about the forbidden fruit. As long as it could serve his intentions, he used whatever sequences.

But you did a great job here. A very nice sound, vivid, powerful like a score for a film about the Romans. But a bit of well chosen percussion could enrich the score.

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast