• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Question about composition...

Share/Bookmark

OT: Question about composition...

I have a rather strange question regarding composition.

Ok, here´s the problem: I stay up late at night composing this piece which sounds really great and all, but when I wake up 8 hours later and press \"play\", the notes seem to be all stuck together and I can´t \"follow\" the music; I keep expecting a note which doesn´t come and the tempo sounds really weird, and it happens almost every time. This usually happens only with my own music.

After I listen to the piece a second time after the first \"what the hell I´ve been composing last night?!?!\" -time, the piece usually sounds much more understandable but that´s because I´ve already heard it once.

Is this a common problem? I´m really confused here and this has bothered me for as long as I´ve been composing music. Does the music sound strange in someone else´s ears as well?

Re: OT: Question about composition...

Well I try not to drink alcohol or take mind altering substances while composing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I don\'t know why you are experiencing this. I do know that I find a lot more problems with my piece of music when I have \"slept on it\". This is probably because the mind has simply had time to relax. I used to get this when I stayed up late at might writing essays for school. I found lots of errors in the morning.

Perhaps you should try not to stay up so late (that\'s rich coming from me, lol) and try to get more sleep. That and attempt to record your music during the day. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

That reminds me... I should go to sleep...

Ed

Originally posted by Ed:
    Well I try not to drink alcohol or take mind altering substances while composing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I don\'t know why you are experiencing this. I do know that I find a lot more problems with my piece of music when I have \"slept on it\". This is probably because the mind has simply had time to relax. I used to get this when I stayed up late at might writing essays for school. I found lots of errors in the morning.

Perhaps you should try not to stay up so late (that\'s rich coming from me, lol) and try to get more sleep. That and attempt to record your music during the day. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

That reminds me... I should go to sleep...

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Well It´s not just when I´m waking up in the morning/I am tired. I could be doing a piece at daytime and after finishing it I listen to something else and forget the piece... then bam, again it sounds weird. I keep asking this from a friend all the time but he doesn´t quite get what I´m getting at.
    And I do get enough sleep, so it can´t be it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is driving me crazy, maybe I´m just paranoid and there´s nothing wrong afterall... or then there is.

oh well.. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So let me try to understand the problem a little better, you record it in Cubase or logic or whatever, it sounds fine. Then you listen to something else, and when you play your composition back again it sounds wrong?

Ed

Ed,

It´s really really hard to explain... I think it´s because I already know how that piece goes (naturally) and upon the second listening time, I´m subconciously trying to guess the melodies before they appear, which leads to confusion...

A good example is my recent mockup of the cutthroat island theme, which sounded really weird when I listened to it \"in the morning\". Did it sound ok in you ears for example?

I really appreciate your attempt to help me out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Paulh,

You should put a link when referring,
    since I don\'t know what your referring to as of the \"Cut Throat\" track, but I think what your experiencing is ear fatique. I experience that, as do many others. Not only with auditory input,but also most authors have their works edited for the same reason.

Live long and prosper.....Spock

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Paul,

I think what you\'re experiencing is very normal. You have not been composing for that long.

You will become better and better at it as you come into your own voice. Right now, you are probably experimenting a lot, and what makes sense to you \"the night before\" may sound completely different the next day.

You\'re not crazy at all. This is a part of the process. Trust me, it never goes away completely. I\'ve been doing this for a living longer than you\'ve been alive, and I still wake up sometimes and listen to a track and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Bruce

Interesting, Paul...

It seems clear that the part of brain you\'re using when normally listening to music is different than the one your using to analytically compose music with. You need to merge the two and compose as if your improvising. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Then you can kill two birds with one stone and do your critiquing/editing in real time.

I thing it was Miles who said about improvising...(with a raspy voice) \"think of a note, and don\'t play it!\". [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Neal

Thanks for the replies!

Birdwizard, I gave the link on another thread, but here it is again:
    click here Tell me what you think.
    Gotta love spock! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bruce, Thanks for the insight. I´m starting to believe this happens only when the compositions are very complex. If I make a track with a drum loop and a very simple tempo, I´m usually not confused when listening to it. It could very well be the fact that I´m not that experienced with dealing with my own music the way I should be.

Neal, as far as I know I only have one brain, but I know what you´re getting at [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
    I´m pretty sure it goes away in time. Perhaps I should give more time for tempo-transitions to happen so they won´t confuse anyone and keep the compositions a little more simple.

Thanks again everyone!

I experience similiar things too. I agree that ear fatigue is a primary culprit, but I\'ve also noticed something else. When I write in a sequencer/sampler situation I find that it all \"makes sense\" while I\'m doing it. My ears are finding the original lines that define the piece moment to moment, and they don\'t lose track of those lines as I add other supporting lines to the mix. On paper it makes sense (usually [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) but as I was playing it, the music would be getting muddier and more convoluted with every new line, as new ideas with regards to counterpoint, etc came to mind. It is usually a mix problem for me that needs to be re-listened to the next day (or at least several hours after stepping away from the machines on a break.) When I write something, I usually have a musician friend of mine give it a listen at some point mid-way through the work to simply tell me when he could no longer follow the melody/direction. I\'ve found that what I thought was blatantly loud and obvious at first was quite often obscurred and hidden beneath less important lines. But again, I wouldn\'t know until I waited a while, or brought a new set of ears to the project.

Understand, this isn\'t so much a writing problem I think, so much as it is a synth/sampler/sequencer writing problem. If the work was to be printed out and performed by players, they would automatically recognize the important stuff and bring it out. In my mind that\'s already happening. I\'m simply hearing what I expect to hear, rather than what is actually there.

This is an interesting psycho-acoustic topic. I\'ve often wondered if others experienced the same thing. I\'m not crazy after all. Thanks for bringing this up. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum