• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Woodwind quandary

Share/Bookmark

Woodwind quandary

OK, I\'m generally happy with my string, brass and percussion libraries, but for woodwinds I have only the ancient Advanced Orchestra versions---which aren\'t bad, but not up to current standards. I\'ve been impressed with the Westgate demos and reviews here, and they\'re obviously a great bargain that would be easy to justify.

However, now that Opus 1 has been out awhile and the woodwinds in particular keep getting mentioned, I\'m wondering how the two compare or if they\'re complementary. I can\'t really afford another thousand dollar library just yet, but I need woodwinds---and Opus 1 would also be a great orchestral supplement to all my other libraries.

So, get WW now and Opus 1 later? Will I still use WW after adding Opus 1? Can I convince my wife I have to have both?

Re: Woodwind quandary

Nothing beats VSL as far as realistic woodwinds go. It\'s expensive - but so are most high quality libraries.

I own WSWW, and I find them very useful. They have a great tone, lots of breath and character and are of high overall quality.

The place they fall short is for very fast runs. No surprise here - it\'s the bane of many a sample library.

I plan to do some custom programming that will offset the start point of the samples with the pedal down - similar to the legato feature in GPO. If I ever get around to it, I\'d be happy to share the .art file. It would be for the extended version.

The advantage of the \"delayed start legato\" is that it removes the \"sucking sound\" between notes, so you can play faster. The disadvantage is that by removing the natural envelope, it can sound a bit synthy. Hopefully I can find a good compromise.

I\'m looking forward to GS3. With the new MIDI rules, it should be able to apply the legato effect automatically. That will be oh so cool.

Theoretically, the Opus 1 legato is superior. I don\'t own it so I can\'t judge it up close. Then there\'s the question about sound quality (listen to the demos) the articulations (read the lists) and the velocity layers (read the specs). I don\'t doubt that the quality is excellent.

Aside from money, and assuming that you like the sound of both libs, the question comes down to your style of music. If you do slower melodies with expression, WSWW is a great bargain. If you generally write fast glisses and runs, save for Opus 1. If you do both, get WSWW today and make the best of it. Get Opus 1 later and save your really fast stuff for that.

Keep in mind that your thousand bucks or so can either get Opus 1 or the full VSL woodwind package. Yet another decision...

Westgate winds are an excellent value, and they sound good. I would suggest getting those. The extended package has just about everything you would need. VSL is also good.

I have heard that other delvelpers are working on woodwinds, but I have nothing concrete to report except Sonic Implants, and that is a long way off still...

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    Nothing beats VSL as far as realistic woodwinds go. It\'s expensive - but so are most high quality libraries.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Understood and agreed--although there are exceptions such as Project SAM, which is high quality and not-so-expensive (so far).

Is it safe to assume that the winds in Opus 1 are of the same quality as the full VSL version, in a cut down package?

> \"Is it safe to assume that the winds in Opus 1 are of the same quality as the full VSL version, in a cut down package?\"

I think so. My question is \"what got cut\"?

I would stop purchasing individual libraries and save up until you can get Opus 1. The woodwinds are generally regarded as very good, the performance instruments are unique and will raise the level of realism of your music and you also get some great strings and percussion. Users seem to be a bit less enthusiastic about the brass, although that is (again) compensated by the legato brass programs.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    > \"Is it safe to assume that the winds in Opus 1 are of the same quality as the full VSL version, in a cut down package?\"

I think so. My question is \"what got cut\"?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Dynamic levels are the same, but the sampling is not chromatic, I believe 7 samples per octave instead of 12. And of course you only get the most important articulations, which is still more than any custom combination of individual libraries you can think of.
    Check out the VSL site, there is a complete and comprehensive listing of all instruments.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I\'m looking forward to GS3. With the new MIDI rules, it should be able to apply the legato effect automatically. That will be oh so cool.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I doubt it\'s automatic. In any case, without legato recordings you\'re not going to get any real legato effect in GS3.

I don\'t have Westgate woods, but I\'m sure they\'re as fine as most people say.

However, I do have Opus, and, in my opinion, once you have tried their woodwinds, you will regard others as secondary. I think they\'re the strongest aspect of Opus. The legato woods, in particular, are simply stunning. The other legato instruments, particularly the brass, are also excellent.

Even though $1000 is a heavy investment, Opus represents good value for money overall. But this is only my opinion.

If money is a concern, and it is for all of us, you might get Westgate now and save for Opus. Do some more research, go to the VSL forum and ask questions.

You can\'t return the goods if they don\'t satisfy, so don\'t buy until you\'re as sure as possible.

Luck to you
    Heath

Go Back to forum