• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dale and I

Share/Bookmark

Dale and I

Dale and I

This sure was a lot of work! So tonal that I am a bit surprised. Also, no unusual harmony (well, so it seems to me). Not a single accidental in the piece. Just 5 minutes of pleasant piano music. I am very pleased with the result, as is Dale, which is quite an accomplishment! This was an experiment for me, in the method of composing. It worked well, but I am not sure that I can or want to do it again. The mp3 is GPO Steinway, the ancient one.

Richard

Re: Dale and I

Hello Richard:

Enjoyed "Dale and I" very much, actually played twice, because I could not make up my mind about musical influence on this piece. Because I spent a few years volunteering in China, I am tuned to Chinese music, and over all, I think your piece reflects Chinese influence, but some places I hear also Japan.
    So, I hope you are not offended, it really touched me, but I wonder where from this far East
    influence? Or, am I wrong, this music just popped up in your mind?

Thanks for posting it..

Ted

Re: Dale and I

Well, thank you, Ted. I certainly agree that it sounds like an oriental influence. Although I have spent about two years in Japan, Korea, and Vietnam, that does not account for the sound. Much of my music has this apparent oriental influence, but I can not account for it except to say that I like it.

The first music I heard outside the USA was a Sousa march played on the speaker system of a railway station in Hiroshima!

I am much pleased that you enjoyed the piece, which is quite well liked in this household.

Richard

Go Back to forum