• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial 290, Moonlight Sonata

Share/Bookmark

Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial 290, Moonlight Sonata

Here is a new demo of the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290, featuring Beethoven\'s Moonlight Sonata.

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/moonlight.mp3

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial 290, Moonlight Sonata

hi,

the link doesn\'t work

i try again

Regards,

Olivier

Thanks Michiel,

You are so right!

Kip

hi,

Great demo!

yes, it\'s cool to have different library and choice !

and a lot of developpers !

thanks for the 2 Bosendorfer\'s.

Each one have a lot of good stuff !!!

Regards,

Olivier

Thanks Olivier!

You have done some pretty respectable work yourself.

Kip

Hi Kip,
    Great demo!
    This proves both our libraries are totally different in sound but can easily sound equally moving with this piece.

Michiel Post

Kip, sincerely, I do not think that your piano is suitable of playing this kind of music. Your jazz/fusion demos sound great, and I think your Bos is very suitable for playing that kind of music. However, when comparing your moonlight sonata with John Grant\'s, there is a huge difference. I\'ll try to list them:
    1. All the broken chords sound too loud, and some of the samples sound repetitive.
    2. The dynamics of the whole piece is way too flat. Listen to the crescendo in the middle of John\'s interpretation (16 layers of samples!).
    3. Some of the broken chords near the middle sound funny - they \'re like jumping around in the stereo field (too much stereo separation sometimes hurt!)
    4. Some part of the octave melody shows some inconsistency between samples.
    5. The perfromance of the midi file is just not good.

Don\'t mistake it. The tone of your Bos Imperial is very good. I\'m absolutely sure that it will sound great with jazz/pop stuff. And I\'m also sure that competing with John Grant\'s music here is not the right thing to do. All the weaknesses of your piano are just magnified.

Performing classical piano music with sampled piano is a VERY VERY challenging experience. I believe that John Grant has many experiences doing that, and of course, recently with the help of the new PMI Bos, he is just doing it even better.

Again, I don\'t want to hurt anyone\'s feeling here. I\'ll probably buy your piano in the near future, because I know that it will sound good on certain projects.

Hi Rach,

The midi sequence I used on the Moonlight Sonata is a \"canned\" midi sequence from PG Music\'s \"The Pianists,\" which is a collection of over a thousand solo classical midi sequences. Overall, these \"canned\" midi sequences are rather bland and lack expressiveness and dynamics. These \"canned\" midi sequences are okay, but certainly do not equal the quality of a well performed midi sequence, such as John Grant\'s rendition of Moonlight Sonata.

Kip

Sadly, mine is not very good. I prefer Olivier\'s. Kip hits the nail on the head. Where a canned version is superimposed on any piano sample, it\'s going to be very hard to get the best. The keyboard player needs to sit down at the sampled piano, get a feel for it\'s characteristics, then give it a go. That\'s pretty much what I did with the Chopin, which sounds a lot better. The Moonlight was a bit of a quicky, shakey at the start--some wierd pedaling--which I should get rid of, but better at the end. Needs work.

John
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Yep, couldn\'t agree with you more about that particular MIDI file, Kip. I\'d yank that demo because it doesn\'t do your piano justice.

I really like the tone of both pianos. One is clear and bold and yet warm, while the other is sparkling and ambient without losing its strength. Nevertheless, the difference between the two demos is remarkable.

The question is how much of that difference is due to the performance, and how much due to the samples themselves?

Neal

Go Back to forum