• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beattles - Were You There?

Share/Bookmark

Beattles - Were You There?

Fifty years since the Beattles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. The show was filmed and actually shown a week later as their second show.. If you happen to have the original video tape of the show, you can see me on the main floor, just forward of the balcony, scowling because I could barely hear the show because of all the screaming!!

A later release of the recording has removed the section, and my scowl is no longer visible.

Richard

Re: Beattles - Were You There?

Sadly, no. I was in my grandmother's living room, watching the Sullivan show. We had rabbit ears and were on the wrong side of the hill to get his show at our place, so we journeyed to Grandma's place for Sunday dinner and Ed Sullivan about once a month, as she was on a slope that faced the Seattle stations and had a great big roof antenna (we kids tried to stay until Bonanza was over, but.... Sunday was a "school night").

I was nine, my sister was seven, and the picture was grainy, but I do recall that hearing them even on TV was tough.

Grandmother opined in her practical Irish accent that they must really be nice boys, because they bowed so properly at the end of their song. Thus began and ended her exposure to the Fab Four. Grandpa wondered why their suits had no collars.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Fifty years since the Beattles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. The show was filmed and actually shown a week later as their second show.. If you happen to have the original video tape of the show, you can see me on the main floor, just forward of the balcony, scowling because I could barely hear the show because of all the screaming!!

A later release of the recording has removed the section, and my scowl is no longer visible.

Richard
    Maybe they cut you out because you have a penchant for misspelling "The Beatles."

Randy

I was about 5 miles as the crow flies from there over in Brooklyn.

Only saw the broadcast that evening on the old black and white tv. Here is the thing that has been lost in our wonderful (mostly) march of technology: you had to be there, at that moment - either in person, or in front of a tv - as there was no substitute. No recording, no vcr/tivo/stream-when-wish. It happened at that time (I suppose delayed for the west coast?), and the entire country had that one focus. Now, we can not only watch it when we want, but we can re-watch.

I wouldn't trade going back to '64 (well, I'd like to be younger), but that is one thing we have lost - a sense of something happening at a specific time where we are all tied together.

But yeah, it was pretty cool that Sunday evening.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ron, when you said "...you had to be there, at that moment - either in person, or in front of a tv - as there was no substitute...", it reminded me of another "had to be there" early TV moment- July 20th, 1969.

Same thing. Grainy, fuzzy, black and white images, so-so sound, but a very real sense of being there when history was made that today's 24hr news cycle, with all the clarity of digital signals relayed endlessly through satellite and cable, plus endless repeats just can't match.

It's a tad hackneyed, but really, you did have to be there.

Nowadays, the phrase "for those of you who missed it, here is..." means more people get to see the "event", but the immediacy of the moment is gone.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Sometime, whilst at Tech College, 1963 and 1964, I saw the Beatles on the stage of the local cinema in Surrey UK. Can't remember when though, but definitely with the guys from class.

Also saw The Who some years later, before they were famous - they were so bad we left and went to the Pub.

Met Sonny Boy Williamson twice without even trying. Oh for the days long ago etc etc
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan is one of my earliest memories. The whole family was watching it. I was 5 years old at the time. I remember going to the doctor with my mom and older sister. She was talking about this new group. On the way back we stopped and they bought Meet the Beatles album. I would play the album over and over while sitting in front of the turntable. That hooked my on music!

Jim

My whole family watched it together and I'll never forget my father stating that night that in 10 years no one will remember their name.
    20 years later he finally admitted he was wrong and he even dug a couple of their tunes.

Go Back to forum