• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Weekend Challenges

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Weekend Challenges

I never saw this before today. Guess I haven't been on the new Garritan MakeMusic Forum as often as I should, not that I have a lot of free time lately. Sounds like our old music challenges from this forum. Anyway, I thought I'd post this for anyone who wants to participate.

http://www.garritan.com/blog/categor...end-challenge/
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Garritan Weekend Challenges

Interesting you bring that up, Gary - Michael Bolton and I are at the new Garritan Forum quite a bit these days, but these challenges have never been mentioned there. I did run into them quite awhile back, but all of Baseball Beth's stuff doesn't really seem in the loop over at MM - or something. There are tutorials, blogs, this weekend challenge - they're floating around, but none of it is referenced at the newly formed Garritan Forum. It's odd.

Randy

Gary, your thread inspired me to post some questions at the MM Forum. Here's the link to that:

"Where is Baseball Beth (and related questions)"

Just as is the case here, that Forum is out of the loop - There are Garritan pages scattered hither and yon at MM, including this Weekend Challenge which someone is just lucky to accidentally bump into. Things like that aren't being posted at the MM Forum, there are no menus to the new tutorials and blogs being put up - It's all really disorganized so far, leaving the Forum in isolation.

That Forum is emerging as primarily a user-driven bulletin board, and that's OK, but it's still not set up properly yet to be the Garritan community hub at MM it's supposed to be.

Randy

I agree with you Randy. I have seen (by accident) a number of challenges after the fact. I don't know who is promoting the challenges and to what end. I see but 3 to 5 submissions and the early ones anyway were by the same few guys. I know that Baseball Beth works for MM (or at least used to) as I checked her profile out online (googled her). The forum and blog are both poorly organized and I do wish it would improve. I am not sure what controls are in place (does MM have the controls or Gary or even Baseball Beth?).

I would like to get more involved but it just seems so desolate there and no one seemingly in charge. Thank goodness Randy has take the bull by the horn and kept this community alive and kicking (AND WARM!! ).

Those old challenges were so much fun and gave me so much inspiration. But these new ones seem rather haphazard.

Sigh,
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...I would like to get more involved but it just seems so desolate there...
    It would be less desolate if you were there, Rich!

Randy

It would be less desolate if you were there, Rich!
    I take that as a challenge.

okay!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

U surely do wish we still had the week-end challenges here. They were fun. I usually didn't submit what I came up with, but at least one inspired an entire fantasy for orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ...surely do wish we still had the week-end challenges here. They were fun...
    Yes, they were - not quite just over the week-end, but they were a fun thing that weaved throughout the Forum's history. We could do something like them again IF:

--Someone would volunteer to organize them. That would involve fielding the submissions and parking them at a site like Box.

--Without access to the polling program for the Forum (we don't have access) - then a clever alternative would have to be arrived at. It could be as simple as keeping record of the votes as they accumulate on the Challenge thread, without any fancy polling program.

BUT - as much as I think the idea is cool, to get these going again, I simply can't add it to my already very full plate.

I bring up these simple details in case some brave soul would like to step forward and organize things!

My suggestion, if we went again, would be that we leave it pretty wide open, not necessarily tied to a specific motive, the way we used to do. For instance, it could just be a challenge to compose something with a given theme. Something more like what we had going briefly with the Movie Challenge. - Reminds me of the one specific idea I had awhile back in regards to a new Garritan Challenge - telling contestants they need to compose a "Bombastic Science Fiction Theme."--hehe--You know, have people take a crack at one of those huge pseudo-symphonic title sequences in sci-fi movies these days.

--I reiterate - I can't do take on the organization. But, it wouldn't be terribly complicated for someone to head, they would just have to be willing to donate some time.

Any takers?

Randy

I would like to volunteer to host it. I believe I have figured out a way to embed a survey into a post.

I would propose the following:
    • Allow a two or three week deadline only - too long, and people forget about it.
    • To that end, set a competition to compose a very short work - perhaps a 30 second cue, based on a description given by a fictitious client.
    • Don't make any stipulations about use of Garritan products - at least to start with. The less restrictions we place, the more interest it is likely to generate in this forum. However, it would be nice if the entrants could list the libraries used.

Another idea: In order to get this competition going with a bang, it would be great if we could offer a tangible prize to the winner. Does anyone perhaps have some kind of exciting kit or software lying around that they are not using that could be offered as a prize? Or any other suggestions?
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Most excellent!

QUOTE=englishgent;740498]I would like to volunteer to host it. I believe I have figured out a way to embed a survey into a post.

I would propose the following:
    • Allow a two or three week deadline only - too long, and people forget about it.
    • To that end, set a competition to compose a very short work - perhaps a 30 second cue, based on a description given by a fictitious client.
    • Don't make any stipulations about use of Garritan products - at least to start with. The less restrictions we place, the more interest it is likely to generate in this forum. However, it would be nice if the entrants could list the libraries used.

Another idea: In order to get this competition going with a bang, it would be great if we could offer a tangible prize to the winner. Does anyone perhaps have some kind of exciting kit or software lying around that they are not using that could be offered as a prize? Or any other suggestions?
    [/QUOTE]

Go Back to forum