• Register
  • Help

Topic: randomly change tuning of instrument

Share/Bookmark

randomly change tuning of instrument

I would like to take an instrument, for example french horn, and somehow apply a very subtle random change in pitch by cents. My objective is to use the same instrument twice, but have on one instrument change pitch ever so slightly to simulate a different second player. The second instrument would also have a slightly different EQ setting to further add to the sense of two different players. Does anyone know if this is possible. I use sonar x1 for a DAW.
    Thanks, Jay.

Re: randomly change tuning of instrument

Isn't that what CC#22 (Intonation) is for? I have used it and it does give a more realistic players sound. It can be varied within a piece with CC data to bring a player in and out of tune (slightly of course). Also there is CC#23 (Timbre) which alters the timbre of the instrument which is useful when a player goes to extreme ranges of there instrument. You can use CC#23 to change the timbre which is what will happen on a real players instrument. Timbre and intonation changes in fast scale passages helps add realism as well.

My 2 cents worth anyway.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hey Rich! I did not know about cc#22 and cc#23. That sounds like what I am looking for. I will experiment. Thanks for responding. Jay

Rich! I just looked on the internet and cc22 thru 32 or something is undefined. Where did you see the definitions that you are talking about? Jay

Those definitions are from the list of CC# in the JaBB and GPO manuals. I have had the list laminated years ago and keep it handy for references to CC usage with Garritan samples. I think someone way back in 2006 made the nifty reference sheet and I have kept it every since. I'm sure it could be found in the dungeons of this website. If not let me know and I will scan mine and send it to you.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Ok Rich. Thanks for the tip. I am also looking for something that works with non garritan libraries. Jay

I use those CCs with JABB instruments all the time. To my ears, they are what make the instruments sound realistic. But I use them very judiciously (usually when a note is repeated) and I keep the values fairly low. Too much and it just sounds out-of-tune.

Allegro Data Solutions

Bonus points to Rich and ejr - You lads steered Jay exactly right with the "Var 1" and "Var 2" (CC22 and 23) info.

Do take heed of ejr's last post, Jay - A leeeeetle bit goes a long ways. If you can record the data live, it's best, so you can get an immediate feel for what you're doing. Swoops up only go up maybe 10% of the way to get what you need.

CC22 is the one used most often, the pitch variation. It's rather like subtle pitch bend. In other non-Garritan instruments, if you can't find these kind of fine tuning controls, set your wheel to just 1/2 step and barely move it - it gets the same basic effect. Tonal variety in the timbre, like CC23 can be done by automating any EQ plugin.

Randy

Hey ejr and Randy. Thanks for the advice. I will experiment with this. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey ejr and Randy. Thanks for the advice. I will experiment with this. Jay.
    How's that going for you, Jay? Automating those Var1 and Var 2 controls really can help lend authenticity to GPO recordings -hope you're finding that to be the case.

Randy

Go Back to forum