• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Which Powered monitors for piano sample playing and listening?

Share/Bookmark

Which Powered monitors for piano sample playing and listening?

I know this subject may lead to the logical conclusion that it depends on what one likes, but I need a pair of powered montitors, and had rather seek advice than not before heading out to listen. (And this topic may belong under Hardware Issues, but since I\'m interested mainly in the sound for piano playing, I thought I should post here.)

So the question is: which low to medium-end powered monitors would you folks suggest for listening to Giga pianos? (I\'m thinking\\hoping in 300-600 range.) Mars tends to set things up for their hardware synths with the Yamaha MSP5s, but these seem to have a narrow sweet spot. Should I expect that in this price range? How about the low-end Events? Others?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Which Powered monitors for piano sample playing and listening?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    I know this subject may lead to the logical conclusion that it depends on what one likes, but I need a pair of powered montitors, and had rather seek advice than not before heading out to listen. (And this topic may belong under Hardware Issues, but since I\'m interested mainly in the sound for piano playing, I thought I should post here.)

So the question is: which low to medium-end powered monitors would you folks suggest for listening to Giga pianos? (I\'m thinking\\hoping in 300-600 range.) Mars tends to set things up for their hardware synths with the Yamaha MSP5s, but these seem to have a narrow sweet spot. Should I expect that in this price range? How about the low-end Events? Others?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Save up and get the Mackie 824s. You\'ll not regret it. Check Ebay, check music stores for demo units...you can find a pair cheaper than retail, and you\'ll have a set of monitors you won\'t want to replace two years down the road.

Behringer Truth B2031

Tannoy Reveal Actives. The sweet spot isn\'t the largest in the world, but the sonic characteristics within the midrange on up are superb (VERY accurate), and they\'re not terribly priced. For the money I\'d say the best deal around, but this is of course my own opinion. I would suggest giving them a listen against similiarly priced competitors. Good question to ask too, btw, would be wether the other speakers in the same price range are factory matched pairs or not. I needed some speakers a while back, liked the Events, but I noticed they came in two separate boxes. When I got them home, there were gross differences in frequency response from about 12k on up with each. Tannoys are factory matched.

I play piano, and spend hours in front of mine quite contentedly. The only things I wasn\'t terribly impressed with were the small sweet spot and the lack of low end. They make up for the low end by handling midrange exceptionally well, but if you want that 100Hz - 20Hz you gotta add a sub. On piano tho, I really like what they do for me.

I have the Mackie 824s. They were quite a bit more than I wanted to spend, but now I\'ve experienced them, I can\'t see a time when I\'d ever want to update them. Not only are they extremely accurate, they also have an unusually wide frequency response (particularly in the low end). I actually gig with them too! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

My vote also goes to Behringer Truth B2031, I love how they sound, you can also set the high end and low pass on them to your liking, and they are extremly afordable.

Of course Mackie 824s are top of the range, if you can afford them.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

The Mackie HR824s are fantastic imho as well [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Why not the cheapest Genelec\'s if you\'re on a budget, 1029a. I have heard a lot of not so good things about the Behringers. You can always add a subwoofer to the Gennies and you\'ll have a nice setup.

I would have to disagree Simon. To me 1029a\'s would be a waste of money, they are too expencive for what you get and that is great but still a very small control monitor.
    I still think that if you can\'t strech to Mackie HR824s , the Behringer is perfect solution.
    But then again , we all have different ears, so I guess it\'s really a personal thing.
    I\'m interested what bad things have you heard about Behringers so that I can pay atention when I listen to them?

Alex

I found the DynaudioAcoustic AIR digital speaker system extremely good for piano. In fact we use several of these now (besides the Genelec 1031A) and I don\'t even want to use any other speaker any more.

Michiel Post

Go Back to forum