• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Amazing Grace ... Garritan Steinway and Acoustic Guitar

Share/Bookmark

Amazing Grace ... Garritan Steinway and Acoustic Guitar

Well, this is a quick piece to try out my new Acoustic Guitar VST with my EWI. And I have to say, I don't know how people are going to do better than the Garritan Steinway. It is such a great instrument. Also the Acoustic Guitar is from Iilya Efimov.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the listen to Amazing Grace.

https://soundcloud.com/ewi-jazzman/amazing-grace/s-4RGYu

EDITED:
    This is a version 2 with the suggestions from DPDAN. The great thing about this forum is that we have some many talented people to nudge us. I put both tracks on the same reverb and did a slight EQ on the guitar (touch of low end removed) with a slightly lower volume.

Amazing Grace T2

https://soundcloud.com/ewi-jazzman/amazing-grace-t2

EDIT TAKE 3 (With Altiverb courtesy of Dan Kury):

Amazing Grace T3

https://soundcloud.com/ewi-jazzman/amazing-grace-t3

Re: Amazing Grace ... Garritan Steinway and Acoustic Guitar

Gathered with a few friends in a cozy conversation area of a coffee house, maybe one with a fireplace, listening to Jim "jdsnyderii" Synder magically split in two so he's sitting at a piano and on a high stool with his guitar at the same time. And everyone's smiling and being transported by the gently twisting improvisational journey. Appreciative applause when the two Jim's wrap up their performance is kept equally gentle so as not to disturb the magic that just stirred the air.

Randy

What a pleasant ambiance! I love that kind of sound. Nice and gentle, nothing too strident. The guitar sounds very good. I am confused though - isn't EWI a wind controller? Are you using that to play the guitar?

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Nice playing first,,,

While your post is about the guitar and not the piano, (and that's OK)
    the piano is thin, soft and in your face while the guitar has much more reverb in comparison to the piano, also the guitar is excessively boomy. The guitars' boominess may not be anything you did to the sound, but these changes to the mix would make it much better to the brain.

You could lower the volume of the guitar and ditch some low end starting at 250Hz.

just my two cents worth
    Dan

Thanks Randy, Owen, and Dan.

I always appreciate the feedback from this group. Owen, yes, the EWI is a wind controller, and with a bit of practice and some crazy thinking you can use a wind controller for a Guitar VST.

I will also be taking a second pass at my mix in light of DPDAN's better speakers and ears.

Jim

The piano and guitar sound just great on this. I think that the Ilya efimov guitar libraries are the best around and you used it very well on this. I disagree with DPDAN about the guitar being boomy. I think it is just right and the piano sounds like a good subservient comp to the guitar. Thanks for this very nice post. Jay

Hi Jim, I think the piano will sound more full without doing anything to it if the guitar is simply lowered in volume,
    and if the reverb is the same for both piano and guitar that will help too

A new mix with these changes will determine if my suggestions are in line if not no sweat.
    Nice playing!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Jim, I think the piano will sound more full without doing anything to it if the guitar is simply lowered in volume,
    and if the reverb is the same for both piano and guitar that will help too

A new mix with these changes will determine if my suggestions are in line if not no sweat.
    Nice playing!
    Dan
    Thanks a bunch Dan! You are a good friend. I tried out your suggestions. I think the reverb is decent (boy I wish I had altiverb) and the same. So, waddaya think now?

Jim

Thumbs up Re: Amazing Grace ... Garritan Steinway and Acoustic Guitar

Well a virtual acoustic Guitar played with the EWI is definitely amazing! Isn't it?

Nice sound by the way!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast