• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What happens with a full Drive?

Share/Bookmark

What happens with a full Drive?

Hey, recently I\'ve been having a hard time getting Giga to play everything right. I load my samples and everything works fine, then after about an hour of work the everything goes nuts. If I play a whole note, it will play the note, then cycle around and start playing random notes, or I\'ll release a key and then 5 more notes play suddenly. I have to restart to get it to work right. Then after anoth 45 min or so, same thing.

I\'ve defragmented my drive and it\'s still happening. Could it be because my drive is so full? I have a 40 gig sample drive with 38 gigs of samples on it...... Anyone ever had this?

Re: What happens with a full Drive?

GigaStudio is READING from your harddrive. It doesn\'t matter how full it is, unless you use an undefined amount of space as virtual memory on the drive.

I got the same problem sometime ago, after upgrading from v2.2 to v2.5, W98 or XP.

In the end I found the difference was about IDE or SCSI HD. The same machine and the same system, I got these \"hanging notes\" if the gig files were on the IDE drives, and no problem if on the SCSI drives.

By the way, the hanging notes problem occurred when the total voices was over around 100.

There is quite a difference in speed of reading between the first sectors written to a drive and the last. So it is quite possible to lose voice count when using samples written to the slower parts of the drive. Some defrag programs allow you to allocate specific files to faster parts of the drive. This would be a good place for samples you use most frequently.

SCSI drives have historically had less difference between their fastest & slowest sectors than IDE drives. I am uncertain if this still holds true.

Regards,

MM

If you use a ATA100 drive make sure that the UDMA 100 drivers are enabled. Some PCs crash with the DMA 66 settings (depends on your board or if you use RAID)

I recently checked out that also bad (physically not ok) RAM modules caused occasional system hangs. After a reboot ok. Try changing the position of the RAM modules on your board if you have two or put in other modules from another computer to test.

And please don\'t laugh at me, but it is also possible that USB (if you have one) causes such problems. Try to connect your mouse or keyboard via PS/2 if possible (friend of mine had this problem).

Hansi

Well.... I\'ve pretty much taken care of all that. I\'m wondering if it\'s a system issue. A few weeks ago my main sample drive completely malfunctioned and caused an aweful crash. I got a new drive and everything has been working, just not as well as it had been. I think this weekend I\'m just gonna have to start all over [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Well.... I\'ve pretty much taken care of all that. I\'m wondering if it\'s a system issue. A few weeks ago my main sample drive completely malfunctioned and caused an aweful crash. I got a new drive and everything has been working, just not as well as it had been. I think this weekend I\'m just gonna have to start all over [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What drive did you have, and what drive did you purchase (which is giving you problems)?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    I had a WD 100 Gig and the mechanism malfunctioned. It\'s still under warrenty so I\'m going to send it back. I replaced it with an identical drive, only it\'s 40 gig instead of 100 gig. They both are IDE ATA 100 @ 7200 RPM. I\'ll check power saving but I don\'t think that\'s the problem... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks guys. I really didn\'t mean to start a technical thread on the library page [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">One thing to remember is that the \"same drive\" may still be faster at higher capacity. Because getting higher capacity may mean more platters or higher density per platter, even otherwise identical designs may have different performance.

If you want a slamming drive from WD, get the ones with the 8mb cache onboard. Those are really great.

And just to add to the confusion, I had identical symptoms (random notes, hanging notes, etc.) on my older system that just vanished when I added more RAM (from 256 to 512...)

Dasher

They were probably both I/O issues, merely alleviated by different solutions. IDE drives have caught or even surpassed SCSI brethren in raw transfer rates, owing to much higher (and ever-increasing) platter densities, but SCSI\'s faster spindle speeds still mean lower rotational latencies -- handling I/O efficiently at large queue depths is one area where it still remains supreme with little real competition from the \"low end\" (the other chief one being widely distributed reads as are common in database servers).

Go Back to forum