• Register
  • Help

Topic: The orchestration challenge lives again! This time with.... P r i z e s !!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation The orchestration challenge lives again! This time with.... P r i z e s !!!!!

If you've been around on this forum for more than a couple of years, you will probably remember our exciting Orchestration Challenges. I think we had around 20 of them. They were great fun, as well as being an opportunity to get valuable feedback on your work and be able to compare your entry to how others approached the same problem.

We are going to launch a new Challenge very soon, but in the mean time, we would like your feedback on the following ideas:

Proposed rules:

• You will be given either two or three weeks to complete and submit your entry. If we made it any longer, people could forget about it.
    • Since the deadline will be shorter than in the past, the task will be to compose a very short work - perhaps a 30 second cue, based on a description given by a fictitious client.
    • We will not make any stipulations about use of Garritan products or lack thereof. The less restrictions we place, the more interest it is likely to generate in this forum. However, it would be nice if the entrants could list the libraries used once the results have been announced.
    • As before, you will be allowed to vote on your own entry, if you think it's the best!
    • If you can't decide between two entries, you may cast a vote for both of them.
    • People that donate prizes will be allowed to participate. The competition is open to everyone, except me (since I will be hosting the voting).

Prizes (yes, real ones!)
    Does anyone perhaps have some kind of exciting kit or software lying around that they are not using that could be offered as a prize? Randy Bowser has already offered a free copy of his excellent auto harp instrument for Aria (a $10 value). If we get a number of such smaller prizes, we could even offer first and second prizes - maybe even a third prize.

Suggestions and comments welcomed
    Any ideas, feel free to reply here, or send me a PM if you'd rather.

Let's do this!
    One recent thread on this forum had 24 different people reply. Yes, we know you're out there! Let's have a go, have fun, and get some more traffic going on this excellent forum!

Best wishes to all my Forum friends
    Owen

__________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: The orchestration challenge lives again! This time with.... P r i z e s !!!!!

A very welcome project. All we need now is the theme and dates.

Re: The orchestration challenge lives again! This time with.... P r i z e s !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    A very welcome project. All we need now is the theme and dates.
    That will be coming soon - within a week or so, if possible, once we hear feedback about the proposed rules and hopefully get a couple more prizes lined up!

A new thread will be started to mark the competition start.

Sounds like a good plane. I will keep my eyes open on the forum for updates to this challenge.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Sounds great.
    ~Rodney

Well, I am hearing no dissensions with the proposed rules and structure. So I'm going to go ahead and post our new challenge hopefully later today. Enjoy!

Go Back to forum