• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: [OT] Ultimate Controller

Share/Bookmark

[OT] Ultimate Controller

With all the great controller options available these days I thought I\'d ask if anyone knows if the following exists as a single unit:

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">88 Note weighted controller keyboard</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">8 or possibly 16 motorized faders with recall</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">pan knobs for each track</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Scribble strips for each track</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">a seperate section with multiple freely assignable knobs (for EQ\'s, VST effects etc.)</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">bank select buttons for jumping between channels</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">USB, Firewire and/or Midi connections</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Transport buttons and a jog/shuttle wheel</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alphanumeric input pad</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Breath control input</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">2 expression pedal inputs</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hold pedal input</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">2 footswitch input</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">2 assignable modwheels</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Polyphonic Aftertouch (thanks Eric G)</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">pitch bend stick</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">XY pad</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bonus: ribbon controller (like Kurzweil EM)</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    I guess what I\'m dreaming about is a cross between a mackie control and a Roland A-90 with some Novation and Kurzweil features thrown in.

I think Novation may be on the right track with some of their new controllers although having built in audio would be a feature I\'d prefer be optional since it adds cost and I would personally rather spend the money on a dedicated solution:

ReMote 49 and 61

That way you could compose and then mix all from the same seat without any logistical issues. Oh well, I can dream...
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Crispin

Re: [OT] Ultimate Controller

Hehe. That\'s a pretty long list. You may be better off doing what you said and getting a Control and a Keyboard.

I looked into getting an A90 but the Mod wheels on Roland controllers are sticks with no up/down movement. I\'m not sure what the reasoning behind that was...

Btw, Mackie is releasing a new extension for the control for all you tweakheads with only knobs for tweaking EQ\'s and filters etc. Looks like fun but it probably costs a fortune.

You\'re asking for two products: a Kurzweil keyboard (since you want the Kurzweil ribbon controller) and a motorized control surface. They don\'t exist in one box.

Originally posted by Daedalus:
    Hehe. That\'s a pretty long list. You may be better off doing what you said and getting a Control and a Keyboard.

I looked into getting an A90 but the Mod wheels on Roland controllers are sticks with no up/down movement. I\'m not sure what the reasoning behind that was...

Btw, Mackie is releasing a new extension for the control for all you tweakheads with only knobs for tweaking EQ\'s and filters etc. Looks like fun but it probably costs a fortune.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you are speaking of the Mackie C4, thus far ... it is Vapor-Ware. It has been \"Coming Soon\" for almost a year.

Ahhh. I see. I prolly wouldn\'t buy it anyways. Looks like a fun toy though. But toy nevertheless. Might be good for someone who uses alot of synth plugs. I don\'t even want to think about how much it will cost though.

Crispin,

This may be beyond what you are looking for, but there are some interesting things going on with musical 3-D positional controllers being developed in your neck of the woods. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This may be part of the ultimate controller of the future. PM me and I\'ll tell you more about it.

Gary

Add to the list:

POLYPHONIC AFTERTOUCH!!

Sorry for the shouting - by why on earth did this feature not catch on, and subsequenty die? It\'s the only reason I\'m still hanging on to my old Ensoniq TS-10.

For any kind of pad, it\'s sooo cool to add subtle motion to a chord by pressing on just one note. Might not be too useful for the orchestral crowd, who plays parts one line at a time, but otherwise, it\'s a useful expressive controller.

The Roland A-80 was the last controller made with poly aftertouch. Until someone makes another, I\'ll hang on to my TS-10 until it\'s pried from my cold, dead fingers.

And ANOTHER thing:

RELEASE VELOCITY!!!!

There are a couple currently/recently made keyboards that sense and send release velocity. Why don\'t more software samplers/libraries implement it? And if they do, which ones?

I\'d LOVE to dictate the length or style of a release of a string or wind sample with release velocity. Surely I can\'t be the only one! More playing, less tweaking!

--Eric

I read about a 3D positional controller that works somewhat similar to a theremin. It looks like a piano bench that you sit on and there are two 6 ft towers on each side that read your hand movements. Also, they were using foot controllers with this thing.

Interesting ideas to say the least.

Sorry, thought of another...

HELD-NOTE PITCHBENDING, GOSHDARNIT!!!!

Okay, so I don\'t know if this is a function of the controller or the receiving device, but my good ole Ensoniq can be configured so that pitch bend only affects notes being held by the keys, and ignore notes being held by the pedal. Yet another very simple technique that works wonders in some situations. Slide steel guitar, anyone?

Go Back to forum