• Register
  • Help

Topic: Monday Fugue

Share/Bookmark

Monday Fugue

Monday Fugue

The mp3 uses GPO organ. Time, 2 minutes, 3 seconds.

So called because it was written on Monday. It is a merry, peppy llitlle thing. Should please nearly everybody.

I don't know what caused this current spurt of activity, but it is nowhere near the end. I hope I can get it all written before the ideas escape.

Richard

Re: Monday Fugue

Hi Richard,

Monday is a perfect day for a fugue. A run away from a whole week's work... You probably made a deliberate choice to have the themes clash in harsh dissonance with a stubborn rhythm. Thanks again for the score!

One little remark though: The different lines melt together to a pile of sound sometimes (panning?).

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Richard,

Monday is a perfect day for a fugue. A run away from a whole week's work... You probably made a deliberate choice to have the themes clash in harsh dissonance with a stubborn rhythm. Thanks again for the score!

One little remark though: The different lines melt together to a pile of sound sometimes (panning?).

Thanks for sharing,

Max
    Thanks, Max. I didn't think the dissonance was so harsh, but ?? The stubborn rhythm was (obviously) a core of the idea of the piece. I uploaded a new mp3, with change in panning, so there is now somewhat less blurring.

Richard

Cool Re: Monday Fugue

I can't leave a fugue uncommented...

It's a fresh idea, and a lovely development. I'm not disturbed by the dissonances, they are manageable in a modern style, and the theme is ambiguous enough to deal with them.

Being I a counterpoint maniac by the way I would try to improve 2 aspects:

- composition: when the answer to the subject enter, the rhythm and pattern of the "counter-subject" should be different enough to be recognized as a countermelody. This old tip of great fugue masters can inflate variety and life in your piece as well, in my opinion.

- rendering: for some reason the musical accent of the nice ternary articulation are lost. It's a pity and it gives to the performance a mechanic and cold feeling. If it wasn't your intention (the theme should suggest it wasn't in my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong...) some little midi editing would help (or if you use Finale, activating the Human Playback in Baroque style for instance etc.)

Please never stop writing fugues ...

Good morning, Fabio!

The mechanical performance has been a trouble to me for a long time. I don't have Finale. I use Sonar and Sibelius. My own live playing is much freer. I could not possible play with such rigid rhythm!

In this case, and in one more fugue about to appear, there was a particular reason for the counter subject, perhaps not a good reason.

Counterpoint is definitely very important to me, especially fugues and canons. But as may be noted, I am rather free with the usual "rules". Not counter point, but I consider Widor's toccata a very great work. I think organ music is my strong point, with piano in second position, which is strange, because I have played much more on the piano than the organ. I have not played an organ since 1965, except for about 5minutes on a large, bland gutless organ in San Francisco in about 1982!

I nearly stopped writing fugues a few years ago when a comment here said "That's not a fugue. I know what a fugue is".

Richard

Smile Re: Monday Fugue

A fugue is a fugue when the theme enters in different voices and then get a development. All the rest is freedom.

For sure an ancient fugue, a baroque fugue, a classical fugue, and a modern fugue have rules. But the transitions from an age to the other was made breaking or enlarging or adapting rules, as always

Fabio, you are quite right on the breaking of rules. If we did not do so, we would still sound like Buxtehude.

I have just uploaded a new mp3 of Monday Fugue, which I hope rectifies the mechanical playback to some degree. I would really appreciate comments, especially from you and any others who may have listened to the previous version. Considering what I did, I am surprised that the playing time is extremely close to the original.

Richard

Go Back to forum