• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impression No. 2

Share/Bookmark

Impression No. 2

Impression No. 2

Second in a planned set of five Impressions. Impression of what you ask? That is up to your mind and ears to decide. Listen to this piece in a clam and quiet spot, close your eyes and let the music take your imagination on a trip.

Impression No. 2
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Re: Impression No. 2

Well, now, Ed, a bit exotic, sounds like it could be from a jungle setting somewhere. I found it quite enjoyable and relaxing. The percussion was well done, not over-powering and really added to and supported music.

I was just wondering if the Matsuazakaya department store on Minamiatsudori Blvd in Nagoya still exists. I bought a record there in 1953, which I liked, but Dale broke it, and 25 years later, I found a copy of it on a sidewalk sale in San Francisco. He broke that one also! Did my spelling make sense? It has been a long time!

Richard

You kept your word about Impression No. 2. It is wonderful.

And what an amazing instrument the bass clarinet is — and how good GPO winds are!

What about ending it in such an abruptly way?
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Apart from the abrupt ending, this piece really surprised me in a positive sense. You handled the percussion really "virtuoso". That great sound of the bass-clarinet!! Undervalued in most settings, but here the moodmaker. Thank you, it gave me some extra dimension using other instruments than the usuals.

Greetings,

Raymond

Hi Ed,

I can't but agree with the comments so far. Surprising percussion, fascinating bass clarinet (as always). An underestimated instrument? Certainly not in my opinion. It has all the qualities and emotional capabilities of the clarinet, the singing voice of the saxophones, the dark side of the bassoon... A very rich instrument with which you accomplishedd an impressive impression with a even more surprising end.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Ed,
    ...... An underestimated instrument? Certainly not in my opinion......
    Max
    You don't see/hear much music with this instrument as "solovoice".

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post

I was just wondering if the Matsuazakaya department store on Minamiatsudori Blvd in Nagoya still exists. ... Did my spelling make sense? It has been a long time!

Richard
    You spelling made sense. My son-in-law is from Nagoya, but I myself have only been in the train station in Nagoya twice, so I can not say I know if Matsuai (?) is still there.
    //
    //

Thank you all for taking the time to listen and comment.

I was a bit surprised at all the comments about the Bass Clarinet; it is one of my main go to instruments.

darkness between the stars, the

darkness between the stars, the

For Solo Bass Clarinet and Strings.

[Note: most of this was written while waiting in train stations in rural Japan and cafes while my wife visited with her friends.]

Heat Death of the Universe, The

Heat Death of the Universe, The

Solo bass clarinet heavily processes with echo/reverb.

[As a side note my reaction to some of the comments directed at this piece on the Sibelius Yahoo Group (I believe the commenter did not know I was in the group) lead me to being bared from the group ]

59,620 Years (The Return of Mars)

59,620 Years (The Return of Mars)

I shared this one last year, I think. The Bass Clarinet plays a very prominent through out the piece.
    //
    //

Very good to see you here again with music, Ed - I think it's been far too long. This was atmospheric, and effective as a mood piece. Percussion loop has a nice rhythm to it - monophonic, centered and looping as it is. Was the ending a mistake or purposely truncated? It looks like an error considering there's 30 seconds of silence after the choppy ending - or is the silence part of the piece?

Randy

Go Back to forum