• Register
  • Help

Topic: He Shall Feed His Flock (post factum)

Share/Bookmark

He Shall Feed His Flock (post factum)

Hi everybody,

Don't see this like a stupid anachronism, it's only an exercise to learn how to handle (Händel) my equipment in another way.

This time, I imported a midi file from the internet into Notion, set the notes, exported it again in midi to Logic Pro X.
    Fro there, I did all the editing.

Everything is VSL, no MIR Pro this time for the ambience, only equalising and dry/wet fiddling.

Ensembles: Chamber strings, oboe and flute (woodwinds to replace the choir).

The intention was to imitate the baroque strings and their short bowing playing technique. As always with Händel, the strings get each their part of attention in the arrangement.

The short bowing however sometimes caused unwanted accents, which I couldn't entirely get rid of.

Enjoy the listen,

Max

He Shall Feed His Flock

Re: He Shall Feed His Flock (post factum)

Hey Max! It sounds good. Isn't it cool that you can download a midi file from the internet and work with it to get a decent audio rendition. Thanks for posting. Jay

Händel With Care!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks for the share Max. A nice sounding piece. I love the VSL instruments. They all have that nice rich tone to them. I still gotta get some practice with my VSL chamber strings, haven't made anything with them yet.

Regards,

Richard

Thank you all for taking the time to listen and commenting.

Randy: This was indeed an experiment with lots of keyswitches and velocities. But I made a major mistake. I constructed two VE Pro instances with all the necessary instruments to import into Logic Pro X. That means 3 different mixers on one (27") screen. But that is in the past now. I did everything anew with only one Logic screen (direct instrument input in Logic as it should be). I tweaked my keyswitches here and there, changed patches... A work in progress. Soon I'll post a different version.

It might have struck your attention that I've tried to imitate the catgut string sound of the baroque chamber orchestra, with a very lively dynamic within the bowing. (Works well for violins and viola, less for the cello and not at all for the bass.) That's one of the points of attention: the bass should show more punch and less stretched continuous long notes. But I'm working on it.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ...I constructed two VE Pro instances with all the necessary instruments to import into Logic Pro X...
    Max, at the MakeMusic Garritan Forum, messages keep showing up from newbies using GPO and Logic - They all have difficulty figuring out how to set things up. I don't know why it is, but the number of posts on this general topic of using Logic make it seem like there's a sudden increase in Logic users, and those of us with no experience using that complex program are at a loss in trying to help out.

Here's the link to a typical post at MM, the newest one. Perhaps you could take a look and point this user in the right direction?

GPO 4 using Logic Pro 9

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Max, at the MakeMusic Garritan Forum, messages keep showing up from newbies using GPO and Logic - They all have difficulty figuring out how to set things up. I don't know why it is, but the number of posts on this general topic of using Logic make it seem like there's a sudden increase in Logic users, and those of us with no experience using that complex program are at a loss in trying to help out.

Here's the link to a typical post at MM, the newest one. Perhaps you could take a look and point this user in the right direction?

GPO 4 using Logic Pro 9

Randy
    I've answered the question on the forum. Since GPO has all the instruments in one track, Logic should be opened with a multitimbral part for Garritan instruments. The keyboard will react to the track, not to individual channels.

Max

Go Back to forum