• Register
  • Help

Topic:

Share/Bookmark
    I have been running Gigastudio 96 on a Pentium III-600 with 128 MB of RAM and the Darla24 card since April with no problems. I have it on a dedicated computer with no other programs running. I have been using only the Miroslav String Ensemble library.
    Last week I purchased the Dan Dean Solo Strings. I also bought another 128MB of memory. This wasn\'t enough so I bought another 128 for a total of 384MB. I am getting a random popping/clicking noise once every few minutes or so, but it doesn\'t appear to be periodic. So I got another 128 MB of memory and now I have 512MB of RAM. I am using the latest version of Gigastudio and the latest Darla driver.

Does anybody have a clue as to what is wrong? I have defragged my drive, ran Scandisc and DMA is checked. If anybody can help me with this I would be most appreciative.

p.s. This is not a polyphone problem, as it happens when triggering a monophonic line.

My email is jerry@jerrygerber.com

Thanks

Jerry Gerber

Re:

The problem might not just be with Gigastudio. I used to get pops and crackles every now and then with my Delta 1010 soundcard because the grahic accelaration was turned up to \'Full.\'
    If you haven\'t already done this, go to control panel-display-settings-advanced-performance and lower your grahic acceleration card to the next notch up from \'None.\' See if this might help.
    Good luck!

Re:

Also, you say you are using the latest version of Gigastudio. Did you download the new non-beta version update that just came out a week ago? Version 2.01.26?

Re:

Where is the upgrade. I went to the Nemesys sight and could not find it. Thanks.

Re:

For the patch update, go to the main page of the Nemesys site and use the site menu pull down in the top right hand corner. The patch is available through the \'versions\' page.

Jerry, are you sure the popping isn\'t a hard drive throughput problem?

Maybe the drive is too slow, or you\'ve got something else on the bus which is loading it down...

Is the drive you have your sounds on the one with the fastest CPU access?

Are you runnning any other apps on the PC at the same time - sequencer audio, MS Office, Quake

Re:

Well, \"a random popping/clicking noise once every few minutes\" probably came from the computer noise. It could be came from MP3/WAVE players, the modem card, USB or even for EXT-MIDI ports...Just a little idea, hope this helps for your trouble shooting.

Re:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    The problem might not just be with Gigastudio. I used to get pops and crackles every now and then with my Delta 1010 soundcard because the grahic accelaration was turned up to \'Full.\'
    If you haven\'t already done this, go to control panel-display-settings-advanced-performance and lower your grahic acceleration card to the next notch up from \'None.\' See if this might help.
    Good luck!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had my graphic acceleration down one notch, I\'ll try another 2 notches. I doubt it is a hard disc throughput problem as it is a 7200 rpm 9 ms disc which has not caused any problems up till now. Yes, I downloaded from Nemesys the very latest version 2.01.026 or something to that effect. I am going to continue to troubleshoot this morning. There is a slight chance this crackling may be coming from a dirty input jack on my board but I doubt it because I have cleaned them. But whatever it takes I will fix it eventually.

Jerry Gerber http://www.jerrygerber.com

Re:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LHong:
    [B]Well, \"a random popping/clicking noise once every few minutes\" probably came from the computer noise. It could be came from MP3/WAVE players, the modem card, USB or even for EXT-MIDI ports...Just a little idea, hope this helps for your trouble shooting.

I have confirmed there is a bug in Gigastudio. Upon loading a very large performance (mine has 102 patches) for the first time after booting up, a glitch will occur every 2 minutes. If I reset gigastudio and reload the same bank the glitch disappears. I spent an hour with Microsoft support to verify the problem isn\'t with Windows, the sound card or the hard drive. It is not. Kevin at Nemesys confirms 3 other uses have reported this problem, and each user has a different sound card, motherboard and CPU.

I found another bug today that is really aggravating as I am losing a lot of work time. With a large performance midi channel 10 doesn\'t respond to program changes. I have confirmed that the midi interface is receiving the message correctly.

Jerry Gerber

Go Back to forum