• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Best Piano of early 2004

The Best Piano of early 2004

I know that is a typical and often discussed subject, but now it is 2004 and many new Piano Samples are out.

What do you think is the best piano for e.g. jazz, classic, pop, just very quiet, or rock music?

It would be intersseting to know what experiences you had over the last few months (or longer) with the piano samples of today.

Re: The Best Piano of early 2004

I think this promises to be a great year for piano libraries. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Worra just released his \"White Grand\" (a stunning bright rock/jazz piano). Art Vista has a new library edging it\'s way to the launch pad.

In other words: stay tuned....

And there is the ivory thing that could be great, and there is also a new vintaudio piano coming. I think I\'m waiting for the \"black grand\" myself.. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And don\'t forget the new GigaPiano that comes with GS3 and includes a new resonance model. Other new GS-compatible pianos can make use of the new resonance feature and perform with 24-bit samples. That along with tons of dimensions and no software limit on polyphony will play new piano libs wonderfully. It also includes kernel-MIDI, so latency will be even lower.

Indeed, it will be a great year for pianos!

I may be a tad biased since I help Worra test White Grand, but I\'ve found it incredibly useful. I\'d be surprised if anyone were to get it and not find it to be completely worth the price.

69 Lois Lane, Metropolis

Oh dear...with all the piano samples rolling out the marketing boys are gonna have to rework the \"best of\" timeline...

ie., the White Grand has the \"Best Piano Of The Last Two Weeks Of January\" award, but may soon lose that title to the new GigaPiano with its \"Best Piano Of February 8th-14th\" award.

And when Worra releases a 24-bit, resonance-ready, GS3 piano, his White Grand may quickly re-take the prize. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] All those velocity layers should work very nicely with GS3.

Disclaimers: I don\'t have a copy of GS3 yet, nor the White Grand. And I don\'t know what Worra\'s product plans for GS3 are. Yet. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There is NO best piano of 2004. They are all different and the choice is (taking in account the high technical standard of ALL libraries)highly based on personal taste.

But 2004 seems to be the year where we have the best choice of piano flavours and I´ll certainly add another one to my 3 piano collection (I would need a new house for the real ones, thank god they are on DVD [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    And when Worra releases a 24-bit, resonance-ready, GS3 piano, his White Grand may quickly re-take the prize. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] All those velocity layers should work very nicely with GS3.

Disclaimers: I don\'t have a copy of GS3 yet, nor the White Grand. And I don\'t know what Worra\'s product plans for GS3 are. Yet. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi:

I am happy owner of the White Grand. It´s sound very good but for now I prefer to hear the recorded played passage insteed while I am playing it. Why? Because something happens when playing in my old A80 controller. I feel that it will be better to have a curve preset just between the #1 and the #2 (if somebody else knows this controller it will understand directly), the #1 is to easy and the #2 is to hard. It´s not easy to abstract myself of the response of this controller comparing it with the real piano playing.
    In other thread of NS forum I posted the question of the recent released PianoBar from Moog. It his an artifact capable of bringing directly from the real piano keyboard midi data out with an optical technology for capturing the movement of the keys. I sent an email to Moog to know more about the accuracy of the translation to midi velocities, but I got only one reply from a marketing responsable of the company that said that PianoBar operate in the full range of 0-127. That´s evident and confusing at the same time. What I would like to know is the accuracy, in other words if all and each of the 128 values are recognized/sent. Maybe for someone living in USA it will more easy to have a look to this artifact. Please, if somebody knows this product and its behaviours, I would like to have some feedback - thanks - Here in Spain nobody of my environment knows about this product. I am interested and this type of product because it is easy to install (not inside the piano) and when playing the sensation is 100% what you are expecting because you are playing in your one well know piano! I do imagine a session where my drummer and bass player are hearing this faboulous piano in their headphones when recording, always tuned. Would´nt it be nice? (Beach Boys, I know).
    Back to the controller question (A80) it´s not only the keys themselves (weight, hammer action feel) but at least 3 factors:
    1. I don´t fell the vibrations of the piano under my fingers
    The other 2 factors are in a shared question between White Grand and MIDI controller itself
    2. When you play one only chord say in f dynamic and after 1 or 2 seconds you engage the sustain pedal the sound doesn´t change because of the sympathetic harmonics in vibration like in a real piano. Here nothing happens.
    3. If you gently play a chord very slowly for not hitting the strings and maintain depressed while playing notes over the keyboard no sympathetics harmonics neither like in a real piano.

The importance of 16 recorded layers is evident. The more the number of recorded layers, the best will be the sound image of the piano. I think we have just now a very good approach of reality of piano sound note by note, a very big progress has be done till now! But maybe the 2004 could be a renovated approach of gaining realism for piano sound but in another way: Convolution technology + consideration of reproducing this very important action of harmonics when pedal sustain is used and/or when keys are depressed while playing other notes (keys).
    Finally if recording more layers than 16 per key will be in mind of programmers I would like to see more layers in the low dynamic level (ppp, pp, p, mp) because IMO in this segment the space of sound is bigger than in the forte region where nuances or subtel changes are masked because of the loudness. My experience as a pianist show me that there is more apreciated nuances to me at the lower dynamic range. You can easely notice this, sitting for a few minutes at a piano trying to play one note (pedal up and after pedal down) and you will maybe like me discover much more changes of quality of sound than in the mf, f, ff, fff. Just my opinion.

Maybe today some library makers are already working on this... Easy to imagine, not?
    It´s funny but some years ago I saw a digital piano fron Generalmusic called Realpiano (I don´t remember at this moment) that had the sympathetic harmonics when holding a chord and playinf notes over the keyboard, but the sound was´nt so good IMO that the 4 GB White Grand. But maybe because of marketing it has been unnoticed in the music scene.

So maybe the near future of having in this scenario the presence of GS3.0 plus other inventions has to surely deserve a very promising of packaged new sampled pianos. I will be looking forward to the Black Grand (thanks Worra to comunicate this future release) and of course to the new GigaPiano2 with the board convulotion when the upgrade is possible.
    Just some of my opinions...

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Regarding feeling the vibrations: Get some big speakers. Put your keyboard on it. Turn it up loud. Now you will feel the vibrations. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But seriously, I like playing a piano through larger speakers, just to give the sound enough size and body.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This made me think: what if controller manufacturers started including some sort of resonance vibrators in the keyboards? This could go a long way towards simulating that grand piano feel without needing gigantic speakers. If you\'ve played PS2 or XBox games you know what I\'m talking about. Based on that technology it should be very very inexpensive to produce such a system as well (PS2 controllers with vibration function sell for $25 or less). Even the pedals could have a small unit in them.

Go Back to forum