• Register
  • Help

Topic: Acoustic and Electric Archtop Jazz Guitar Demos

Share/Bookmark

Acoustic and Electric Archtop Jazz Guitar Demos

Here are a couple of new demos featuring both the acoustic and electric archtop jazz guitars with thumb samples, rather than pick samples. There are pick samples of these same exact instruments in the \"Vintage Jazz Guitars and Tenor Banjos\" collection, but for these particular demos I decided to go with the thumb samples.

The first demo is the acoustic archtop jazz guitar version, and the second demo is the electric archtop jazz guitar version, both featuring a well known jazz ballad.

The acoustic archtop jazz guitar demo is totally unprocessed with no reverb (completely dry), while the electric jazz guitar demo does have a bit of reverb.

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/misty.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/misty2.mp3

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Acoustic and Electric Archtop Jazz Guitar Demos

Both of these demos were played on a Kurzweil K2600 keyboard controller.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I had some requests from people who wanted to hear some reverb on the acoustic demo of this jazz ballad on the acoustic archtop jazz guitar with the thumb samples.

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/misty.mp3

and here is the electric archtop jazz guitar with thumb samples

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/misty2.mp3

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I dont really think these demos stand out. I appreciate the hard work putten into them - but they dont sound close to being real. Especially the second demo seems to annoy my soul. A jazz guitar has a soft sound yes, but it also has alot of different attacks. All the samples seem to have a slow attack - and no string would naturally have that - as you do plug the string.

In addition I think there needs to be added noises of chords shift, pickup sounds and especially string pickin.

Needs improvement!

Yours Chris -

These are thumb samples! Not pick samples. There are pick samples in this collection, but they are not featured in these demos. Many of the best jazz guitarist play with their fingers, as opposed to using a pick.

I have played with some of the finest jazz guitarist in the country, and I assure you these demos do sound authentic!

Obviously you are not accustomed to listening to good jazz guitarists!

Kip

The sampled notes in these samples sound exactly like the real guitar that was sample recorded. This particular guitar is not the usual archtop jazz guitar where the top has been butchered in order to mount humbucker pickups. This particular sampled electric jazz guitar is an acoustic Gibson L7 with a \"floating\" DeArmond pickup in the neck position, which makes for more of a raw sounding electric jazz guitar. To many, including myself, this type of floating pickup arrangement makes for much more of a pleasing sound than guitars that have had their tops cut and butchered for mounting pickups, which detracts from the acoustic vibrations of the top, thus affecting the quality of sound.

Kip

Bardstown. I love most of your other works. But claiming that these demos sound authentic is one step I cant join you in. Long live \"subjectivity\" and in the ear of the beholder!

Hehehe.

Love - Chris

I just listened to the demos. There is something indeed not right. Perhaps it could be the individual attacks, but i believe it is the poor midi programming which is causing the sour ears. the runs are very lifeless, it needs more rubato, some good ol push-pull.

i\'m a jazz guitarist. so what i\'m hearing is not \'too\' far off base, it could just use better programming. the voicing did work rather well. but perhaps the chords need to be rolled a bit, a slight rake.

passacaglia

Go Back to forum