• Register
  • Help

Topic: Paste

California Redwoods

"Cut/copy and Paste" is ordinarily used in a highly pejorative sense.

But consider Mozart et al, who restated a major theme in minor mode. Good use for cut and paste, with a amall amount of editing, seems to me.

Fugue subject and counter subject: If I wish to restate the subject/counter subject in a different voice and time, copy and paste , followed by some necessary editing at least in key, is made to order.

Canon: if I wish to create a crab canon, what's the problem with copy/paste and retrograde, with suitable editing?3

Symphony: write a them for violins. Later, give it to another instrument.Made to order for a paste job

I use paste quite a lot, as I never found a point in taking a long time to re-enter a long passage one note at a time if I could repeat the whole passage in a few seconds, and then make any necessary changes.

Pasting, whether from copy or cut is a valuable tool, but I think it takes some practice and study to make good use of it.

Cool Re: Paste

as long as composing music is a sophisticated way of managing repetitions (because they are component of the rhythm itself, and to make good use of the human memory and cognitive rules)... copy/paste is a musical action.

Stocastic and hyper variated music (e.g. serialism of all kinds) usually is not appealing exactly because it's based on the denial of "paste"...

Re: Paste

Copying and pasting is one of the most basic tools of working with MIDI. I've never used the phrase "cut/copy and paste" in a pejorative sense, and I really haven't noticed people generally using it in a negative way either. It's just a basic editing tool with text, music, image work etc. I've heard and/or seen copies piling up in a free form, random way that doesn't always yield pleasant results, but in those cases, it's not the use of C&P that I'd be critical of. That would be like being disdainful of scissors.

A neat Sonar trick - probably the same in the other recording programs: In the PRV, Lasso notes, drag them over while holding CTRL, and you have a copy without doing the full C&P routine.

I actually use copy/paste a fair bit, and have used it since the 80's and my first efforts at MIDI sequencing. For laying drum tracks down, copy/paste is my favorite tool. early on in the process.

These days, once I decide on the groove for a particular song or arrangement, I lay down a basic drum (and often the bass) pattern, say four, eight or twelve bars, then copy and paste it out in Finale for what is planned to be the length of the piece.

Later, once the details are fitted out somewhat, the opportunities to finesse the drumming (rolls, turnarounds, flamm, etc) and add variations usually make themselves obvious, so the basic beat starts to sound a little less mechanical (maniacal?) from this point on.

Later still, when the piece is nearly done, the variations get added. A ride bell replaces an edge hit at random places, a double kick happens on the bass drum or snare in the bar before a particular turnaround, emphasis points get added, etc. All in the name of making the drums sound as real as possible. But it all starts with copy/paste.

I'd hate to be without it.

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

California Redwoods

Well, I am happy to say that it looks like my opening premise was off target! I am pleased with the comments.

Go Back to forum