• Register
  • Help

Topic: absynth or reaktor?

Share/Bookmark

absynth or reaktor?

Hello,

I need to get a softsynth to augment the orchestral work I do with giga. I\'m basically looking at Absynth or Reaktor. Any thoughts as to the relative strengths of each?
    I usually need to work fast, so availability of existing sound libraries etc for each would be a consideration.

Also, I run Logic Audio with video on a G4, giga on two PCs. Any advice on whether it would be best, in terms of available resources, to run the synth as a VSTi on the mac, or a standalone on one of the PCs? Do these synths coexist nicely with giga or can it create problems?

Thanks,

Rob

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: absynth or reaktor?

Originally posted by rob morsberger:
    Hello,

I need to get a softsynth to augment the orchestral work I do with giga. I\'m basically looking at Absynth or Reaktor. Any thoughts as to the relative strengths of each?
    I usually need to work fast, so availability of existing sound libraries etc for each would be a consideration.

Also, I run Logic Audio with video on a G4, giga on two PCs. Any advice on whether it would be best, in terms of available resources, to run the synth as a VSTi on the mac, or a standalone on one of the PCs? Do these synths coexist nicely with giga or can it create problems?

Thanks,

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Reaktor, I\'d say. You get hundreds of instruments in the box, and over 1000 are available for download on the website.

Unfortunately, as a standalone, Reaktor and Giga won\'t coexist.

However, you can run VSTi fine, or run a standalone on one of your externals and render the tracks.

Absynth is nice too...very soundtrack-y, but far less configurable than Reaktor. Absynth is semi-modular. Reaktor is basically like AutoCAD for synthesizers.

Bruce,
    thank you. Funny, I had just been reading your online review of Reaktor with great enjoyment.

take care,

Rob

Hmmm...Reactor is great, but I wouldn\'t recommend it at all for working fast. It\'s a great tool for someone like me who has loads of time to learn it and create sounds. It is NOT easy to use by any means. (It\'s the most difficult to use soft synth...but also the most powerful) Reactor is a true investment of time to understand and grasp. Access to loads of ensembles (pre-configured synths) is not the same at all as access to ready to use sounds and patches. For a library oriented, non-synth programmer...Reactor would be extraordinarily confusing....as it is quite broad and advanced. If you have the time...then great, it\'s awesome and endlessly powerful.....but fast it ain\'t.

Absynth is somewhat easier to learn, depending on how you like the interface. Some folks hate the interface, some love it (I really like it myself). The one universally agreed thing is that it sounds wonderfully and very unique....it\'s one of my favorite tools.

I will put an unashamed plug in here for my upcoming Atmosphere -Dream Synth Module plug-in too. It is actually designed exactly for the requirements you state. The massive core library is built in....no need to search out and sort through patches on the web. It is sonically more rich than either of these two.....because the core library was created with much more than DSP synths (ABsynth is a DSP synth, and so is Reactor...Atmosphere is a high-res sample-based synth.) I don\'t think you\'ll want to miss checking it out before you make your decision.

Here\'s some more info on how Atmosphere has been expanding:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/atmosphere.html

MP3 Demos coming in the next couple of weeks will give you a much better idea of how groovy it sounds. It\'s designed to be very powerful AND easy to use.

Surely some reading this will think it highly biased...of course it is, but I did use ABsynth and Reator extensively in the creation of Atmosphere (along with over a hundred other classic synths and state of the art sound design tools).

Hope that helps!

spectrum

Which VSTi would I want if I wanted a Virus C type sound but not one that is really hard to use like Reaktor? I\'m just an orchestral guy so I\'m not used to programming weird synths and such. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I use a similar setup, Logic with 1 Gig machine. I have absynth and really like it. I wish there were more sounds but I\'m sure with time there will be more created. It\'s very unique and I always get great response from people when I use it. It\'s about as quick as anything to use so that\'s one reason I like it. I usually dump my sounds to HD as soon as I know what I want because it can chew up DSP. One frusteration is I haven\'t figured out how to get some of the cool patches in Absynth to lock to beat clock. I don\'t know if it can be done. Maybe someone here can help???!!!! If it can\'t be done then it\'s a certain downside to the otherwise really cool software.

I also really like my Korg Karma for this kind of stuff. Obviously more pricey then Absynth, but a pretty cool alternative to Virus (which I would love).

Also, I know Eric\'s software is going to be very cool. I wish he\'d hurry up and finish it so I can order!!!!! I know it will rock, plus his Stylus can be mixed with ethereal sounds for really cool textures. Hope this helps.

J-

Eric,

Will you be offering a pre-release price on Atmospheres?

-- Martin

How about a \"We Love You\" discount to all your Northern Sounds Family!

Originally posted by Hasen:
    Which VSTi would I want if I wanted a Virus C type sound but not one that is really hard to use like Reaktor? I\'m just an orchestral guy so I\'m not used to programming weird synths and such. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Atmosphere also features many great sounds that I created with Virus A, B and C and the Indigo. The Virus is one of my fav synths, and I used it a lot in Atmosphere.

The coolest thing of course is that in Atmosphere you can layer sounds created with Virus, ABsynth, Maelstrom, Jupiter 8, Yamaha CS-80, Prophet VS, Minimoog...etc, so you get that sonic richness that only a giant rack of vintage synths can give you. It\'s super easy to layer two sounds in Atmosphere and then you get that killer hybrid sound...which in my book is always the ultimate thing....no one synth does it all. Since Atmosphere is sample based, you get the beauty of all those great synth textures, but the filter stuff happens in real-time, so you can totally control it and easily shape your sounds to fit your music.

The idea was to try to combine the best of both worlds....sampling and synthesis. Powerful AND easy to use.

Sounds like an ad...I know! But I am pretty excited about how cool this beast has become!

Thanks for letting me plug shamelessly!

spectrum

Well yeah it does sound like an ad but you\'re also answering my question so its ok. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sounds like just the thing I\'m after, can\'t wait to hear some mp3s of it...

Go Back to forum