• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lazy Daisy

Share/Bookmark

Lazy Daisy

This was a tune I came up with for getting Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 to work correctly with Sagan Technologies Metro 7. I wasn't sure if it was going to happen but with Jeremy Sagan's hard work and some help from VSL support it did happen.

JABB And the Garritan Steinway on this one. The reverb is ValhallaVintageVerb from ValhallaDSP.

Lazy Daisy

Re: Lazy Daisy

Phil, when I saw you re-surface on the Forum a couple of days ago, I was hoping it presaged an appearance of some music by you. I'm glad I was right!

"Lazy Daisy" has a nice, gently rolling along, laid back feel to it - shades of "Georgia." I like it.

I'm always interested in getting some info about software I haven't worked with before. Could you fill us in a bit about what the problems were getting Vienna Ensemble to work with Sagan? I would have to guess the challenge is that Vienna is a host program for plugins, with all the mixing and production tools one would expect - but then Sagan's Metro is also a host program, so you were wanting a host inside a host, like in a re-wire situation? Did you want that because Sagan had more things available to you than Vienna on its own?

Satisfy my curiosity and tell us a bit about those programs you used in this.

I'm also curious about your instrumentation. You're using a chord pad throughout, those are woodwinds? The keyboard style gives them an interesting Mellotron sound, something like "Strawberry Fields."

What's the lead instrument? It sounds like a mellow, classic synth "brass/trumpet" patch, especially in the higher range, like around :55 into the MP3. Where does that sound come from?

Did you use some of the orchestral set that comes with Vienna?

Enough questions?? lol - I'd like to know more about this, so hope you post a reply.

Thanks, Phil.

Randy

Hey Phil. I found myself gently swaying when I listened to your Lazy Daisy. I think it is a real nice relaxing kind of piece. I enjoyed your post. Jay

You know, sometimes a simple melody is much better. It helped me getting down from the complex structures I am working with. Nice doing.

Raymond

Randy,

I glad you liked my tune.

I did sort of morph Georgia into Lazy Daisy. They both have similar beginnings and the descending chord structure. The wind & brass instrumentation was three open trombones and two Bb clarinets from JABB. Nothing special. I wasn’t trying to get any standard sound so it was just me messing around with chord structures. Some of the effect might be ValhallaVintageReverb, a relatively inexpensive reverb although it’s reportedly close to Lexicon quality.

Algorithmic reverbs have become quite a bit more sophisticated in recent years, challenging convolution reverbs for realism of physical space while providing much more control.

I haven’t gotten around to trying out the VSL instruments that came with VE Pro 5. I also had to buy an individual instrument to download the VE Pro 5 demo.

So you’re wondering what’s with Vienna Ensemble Pro and Metro 7 or any host.

Vienna Ensemble Pro is a sort of like rewire but it only loads and provides plugins for the use of a DAW host, usually over a midi and audio LAN. It can also be used on the same computer as the DAW host resides on.

The advantage to using VE Pro 5 is that you can share the workload with two or several computers, one as the master and the others as slaves hosting the plugins or even effects. You first start VE Pro 5 on your slave computer and then insert a VE Pro 5 Server plugin on a aux buss or track. A VE Pro 5 Instance will then appear on the slave computer where you can load your sample library hosts such as Aria or Kontakt. In your DAW host it will be the same as using the libraries directly except it will say Vienna pro 1, 2 and so on that correspond with the samples that are shown in the VE Pro 5 Instance.

You can insert multiple libraries in one Instance and save this as a Metaframe or just have on library per Instance and have multiple Instances or a mix of both. Both Instances and Metaframes can be Preserved which turns them into basically independent programs that can be used in other projects or even other DAW hosts. You can also disconnect the DAW host from a Preserved Instance when not using it, such as when working with rendered tracks where VE Pro 5 is not needed and only slows things down and then reconnect to your DAW host.

So Why?

Originally I was going to buy the 2013 Mac Pro as was there was a lot of speculation that the pricey dual GPUs could be utilized using OpenCL but when Apple released Logic Pro X with absolutely no OpenCL support it became obvious that the 2013 Mac Pro was going to be, at least for now, more of a GPU(graphics, math) centered machine than a CPU centered machine. It’s back ordered into April so Apple seems to know the main market needs.

I decided to keep my 2011 27” iMac and use it as the slave and I purchased a Mac Mini with the quad-core i7 and fusion drive, adding 16 GB of third party memory. So they are connected using ethernet and also with ThunderBolt ports for screen sharing. After I set up my libraries in VE Pro 5 I can hit a key command and the iMac’s 27” display becomes available for my Mac Mini where my DAW host is in addition to it’s own display, toggling back and forth between the iMac and the Mac Mini as needed.

It looked like VE Pro 5 would work with Metro 7 but I discovered rendering audio wasn’t working. I was testing builds and it was a roller coaster ride of fixes, work-arounds and then other issues popping up until Jeremy Sagan contacted VSL support and the underlying problem was corrected.

I have also made a new DAW desk modifying an inexpensive dining room table from Vietnam.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Phil. I found myself gently swaying when I listened to your Lazy Daisy. I think it is a real nice relaxing kind of piece. I enjoyed your post. Jay
    Hello Jay,

Good to hear you got some enjoyment from the listen. I was playing around with the Rain Piano from Sampletek which is an old upright piano from a bygone era. I later replaced it in the mix for the Garritan Steinway but I think it's characteristics got the tune started.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    You know, sometimes a simple melody is much better. It helped me getting down from the complex structures I am working with. Nice doing.

Raymond
    Hi Raymond,

Yes, not too much to think about on this one, just kick back and coast.

Thanks for the comment.

Phil

Hi Phil,

What a nice, sweet and lazy little piece of music. The simpler its structure is, the more complex its setup seems to be. I'm a user of VE Pro 5 too and could realise lots of interesting projects with it. But now I mainly work with Logic Pro X, which makes VE Pro a bit redundant. But for the scoring job, it's absolutely valuable, since you can load such an immense lot of instruments in it (using VE Pro Event Input).

Thanks for the lovely piece and detailed explanation.

Max

Go Back to forum