• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why 4 ports in Giga160 to play a piano ?

Share/Bookmark

Why 4 ports in Giga160 to play a piano ?

Sorry for the stupid question, I\'m just curious about stuff I\'ve read in another thread on NS:
    About the need of using 4 (midi?) ports for large pianos in Giga 160.
    Why is this needed, and especially how is it supposed to work ?
    Isn\'t a single midi port and single channel sufficient for playing a piano since it\'s only a single instrument ?
    Or do you need to play some clever games to overcome GSt\'s limitations ?

thanks,
    Benno

In some other thread Franky wrote:
    ----
    You\'re right we did not say clearly enough at the beginning that the library was intended for Giga 160, this was not a flaw but a oversight, you never asked for any special consideration or sympathy as you call it after that in fact you wrote good reviews for the library, your post puzzles me and I have to admit is disapointing in such a dreadful and obviously diffamatory thread .....

The only way one can load such a huge library in Giga 160 is to use all ports as does Worra\'s new piano also, the only error we made was not making that clear enough, sorry you felt \"guinea pigged\" which I find very strong specially after your positive reviews of the library, but then again it\'s your opinion and you have a right to it.
    -----

Re: Why 4 ports in Giga160 to play a piano ?

Originally posted by sbenno:
    Sorry for the stupid question, I\'m just curious about stuff I\'ve read in another thread on NS:

-----
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is why I had to use 4 ports when making the White Grand:

Gigastudio files has it\'s limitations. You can\'t exceed 2Gb, not really Gigas fault, it\'s FAT that can\'t adress bigger files, and you have limitations in how many dimensions you can use.
    I wanted to make a piano with 32 velocity layers and 4 release layers/note, and there where no way I could do that and use only one .gig file. So I made 4.
    To be able to play the whole piano, you need to stack these 4 gigs on the same midichannel.

Thanks for the explanation Worra,
    indeed stupid me :-) I should have thought about this.

The advantage of formats using separate WAV files for each sample in the instruments is that the 2GB limitation (in case of 32bit filesystems) is per sample so with that kind of format one midi channel would suffice. Not to mention that it is much easier to edit those sample formats: just think how messy it is to shorten or enlarge samples in .GIG format, the editor must rewrite the whole instrument file instead of a single sample.
    With 64bit filesystems and 64bit OSes/CPUs the size of monolithic files will not be an issue anymore but I still think that the future of sampleformats is XML (for the instrument description like layers, keyzones, articulation info etc) + WAV files.

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

Originally posted by Worra:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by sbenno:

-----
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is why I had to use 4 ports when making the White Grand:

Gigastudio files has it\'s limitations. You can\'t exceed 2Gb, not really Gigas fault, it\'s FAT that can\'t adress bigger files, and you have limitations in how many dimensions you can use.
    I wanted to make a piano with 32 velocity layers and 4 release layers/note, and there where no way I could do that and use only one .gig file. So I made 4.
    To be able to play the whole piano, you need to stack these 4 gigs on the same midichannel.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow, Amazing thought, no wonder the White Grand sounds so good! good works, Worra.
    I have done that with 2 MIDI ports as wet and dry mixed within same .gig. I couldn\'t believe how you can do that with 4 MIDI ports! It doesn\'t seem easily in .gig programming? I\'m impressed! Must have it soon.

Thanks for sharing it with us,
    LongStudio

Originally posted by sbenno:
    Thanks for the explanation Worra,
    indeed stupid me :-) I should have thought about this.

The advantage of formats using separate WAV files for each sample in the instruments is that the 2GB limitation (in case of 32bit filesystems) is per sample so with that kind of format one midi channel would suffice. Not to mention that it is much easier to edit those sample formats: just think how messy it is to shorten or enlarge samples in .GIG format, the editor must rewrite the whole instrument file instead of a single sample.
    With 64bit filesystems and 64bit OSes/CPUs the size of monolithic files will not be an issue anymore but I still think that the future of sampleformats is XML (for the instrument description like layers, keyzones, articulation info etc) + WAV files.

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">On XML: exactly my thought! Developers can put their raw samples into a structured repository and use standard content management tools like XML and XSLT to create, generate and fine-tune their products. I would love to be working on stuff like this [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Component-based and open development processes and tool instead of monolithic, proprietary (buggy) tools, cool! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum