• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nimrod from Enigma Variations (Elgar) on GAS

Share/Bookmark

Nimrod from Enigma Variations (Elgar) on GAS

You know now that I don't look like Prince Charles. Well now you get to see my hands! Woopee woo. This is me playing Nimrod from Enigma Variations on GAS.

Owen

__________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Nimrod from Enigma Variations (Elgar) on GAS

A solemn and meditative performance.

Disciplined as well! I wouldn't have the patience not to rush through sections of this piece.

Hey Owen! Nice hands. Oh yeh, nice performance too. That is a pretty piece by Elgar and GAS works good for this.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Simply superb post, Owen -

It's an elegant piece of music, you play it so well, and but of course the Garritan Steinway (--I can never bring myself to call it "GAS"--if ever there were unfortunate initials!) - sounds so great - AND, icing on the cake, it's so fun to see you playing the piece in real time!

I don't think I've ever seen someone post a video like that here on the Forum. I've bumped into YouTube vids of people playing their keyboards, like the great ones demonstrating the Garritan Stradivari and Gofriller which are still up there - but I don't recall seeing one of these vids here.

I see your axe is of the "portable keyboard" variety, with built in sounds and speakers, maybe a Yamaha? It's fun to see one of those in action. Tell us something about it, how it works for you? I don't know if many of us have an "all in one" kind of keyboard like that, so would be interesting to hear about it.

Great stuff - Thanks, Owen!

Randy

Thanks a lot. It was almost you have invited me to your home and you played this incredible piece for me.
    I do not think we are appreciating the genius of Elgar enough. You do, as your playing is showing it.
    Thanks again.

Ted

Thumbs up Re: Nimrod from Enigma Variations (Elgar) on GAS

Expressive and accurate performance.

Daniel: "Solemn and meditative" - just about sums me up! Well, I was playing it at 1am, so I really don't think I had the energy to rush through anything!

Jay: Thanks for your comment. Glad you enjoyed!

Randy: Glad you liked my performance, and the real-time video. I had noticed that videos on YouTube that show the performance seem more popular than those that have no video. I suspect some people like to use them to get tips on how to play a piece.

About my keyboard: You are right, it is a Yamaha PSR model - about 10 years old. Originally my wife bought it for me as an anniversary present, for me to use as an all-round tool, such as some composing work using its built-in multi-track MIDI recording, also a practice and performance instrument. Then I learned about GPO, and now rarely use the on-board sounds, although sometimes I will use the piano sound if I want to quickly test something out without firing up the whole studio. But really, I am just using it as a MIDI controller. Not the best one, but budget prevents me from buying anything else right now. It does have a reasonable touch response, and I map the pitch bend to be a modulation wheel using MIDIOX and Maple virtual MIDI cables. It only has 60-something keys, not the full 88 I really need, so I am constantly switching octaves and manually adding out-of-range notes after the fact. It's all a bit of a pain, but needs must right now.

Ted: You're welcome any time! Just excuse the mess. I agree with your comments about Elgar - studying this particular piece again reminded me of how much music it contains, yet it comes off as so simple as listenable. Beautiful stuff. Of course, I'm a Brit, so I'm biased.

Fabio: Thanks! If you look carefully, you can see that it wasn't an entirely accurate performance - I fixed quite a few notes afterwards. I didn't have a chance to practice it more. But nobody will ever know, right?!

Cool Re: Nimrod from Enigma Variations (Elgar) on GAS

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post

Fabio: Thanks! If you look carefully, you can see that it wasn't an entirely accurate performance - I fixed quite a few notes afterwards. I didn't have a chance to practice it more. But nobody will ever know, right?!
    Enigma Variations are one of my favorite orchestral suites, and the secret of a good recording is capturing the musical intention you may express quite better playing live, if you are able of, but correcting and fixing all the little errors and imperfections which detract from a non-professional performance: in that way you get the best of both worlds, the natural flow of a performance and the correct execution of a sequence.

nobody will know

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Enigma Variations are one of my favorite orchestral suites, and the secret of a good recording is capturing the musical intention you may express quite better playing live, if you are able of, but correcting and fixing all the little errors and imperfections which detract from a non-professional performance: in that way you get the best of both worlds, the natural flow of a performance and the correct execution of a sequence. nobody will know
    Well explained. Well, for sure I wasn't going to post a recording with lots of errors when I could fix them!

Hi Owen,

It's always a pleasure to be able to sit in the first row in a home concert. And what a subdued playing, almost caressing the keys. Every note has a 'soul', a deeper touch that gets to you. Wonderful piece, masterly playing.

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast