• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beethoven String quartett op.131 c#-minor VII. Finale Allegro - for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven String quartett op.131 c#-minor VII. Finale Allegro - for orchestra

Always the Finale of Beethoven's String quartett op.131 c#-minor to me had been the climax of all Beethoven Finali string quartetts - with its outstanding combination of power, tenderness and counterpoint. In the last weeks I put it into a colourful symphonic orchestra form:

www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op131-7-orch.mp3

I hope you enjoy it!

Gerd

Re: Beethoven String quartett op.131 c#-minor VII. Finale Allegro - for orchestra

Gerd, your link is broken on the post. With 34 hits from viewers, doesn't it seem like one of those people could have paused long enough to just let you know that?-- On my own current music post, my initial link was broken also. I can see that something's changed in the Forum's pop-up for links, and it's either broken or more prone to errors - Something of the sort.

But, it was easy to fix your URL. Like mine, it was missing the "http" which the pop-up "conveniently" erased. Here's a working link:

Beethoven string quartet op. 131

Hopefully my posting of your link will work so more people can hear the perfectly lovely adaptation you've done of this Beethoven work.

Randy

Re: Beethoven String quartett op.131 c#-minor VII. Finale Allegro - for orchestra

Gerd,

Nice rendition of the wonderful music of Beethoven! Very nicely done!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

As by this time we enjoyed your work several times, I did enjoyed this one too. If I may offer some my observation, I believe that the strings should be more brought forward in volume, I had to turn up my volume to hear the strings and of course then all others were overwhelming.
    The incredible work you are doing is a delight for me, so please do not feel that I am criticizing your work, only that I wish I could hear the strings more balanced to the rest of the orchestra.
    Thank you for posting your wonderful work

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...I believe that the strings should be more brought forward in volume, I had to turn up my volume to hear the strings and of course then all others were overwhelming...
    It's a valid piece of feedback, Gerd, but I can sympathize with you on this issue.

A standard piece of advice when mixing a piece of music that uses virtual strings, is to keep them lower in the mix than they probably would be in a recording with a real orchestra. That's because the strings are apt to be the least convincing part of the mix, and so it's better to keep them in a supportive rather than prominent role. Following that advice, I mixed many, Many pieces with my strings very low in the mix, which resulted in a woodwind section unnaturally prominent. Since then, I've thrown that advice out in favor of balancing things more like recordings of a real orchestra, common MIDI mixing wisdom be damned.

- In short, I agree that your rendering of Beethoven would be closer to something The Maestro would recognize as his work if you brought the strings up more.

Randy

Gerd! This really sounds very nice to me. This seems like it would be a lot of work for you to put this together but It was worth it. The link was broken again but I just copied the link address bar on firefox went to the link from there. I enjoyed your post. Jay

Hi Gerd,

I'm filled with admiration for the immense job you've done to enter the piece AND to arrange it so in such a masterly way. THE MASTER would have been pleased with your work. Not entirely his style, but wo cares, it's absolutely delightful. Of course the balance and the overall ambience could have been better, but that's merely peanuts in comparison with the orchestration you did.

Congrats!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    As by this time we enjoyed your work several times, I did enjoyed this one too. If I may offer some my observation, I believe that the strings should be more brought forward in volume, I had to turn up my volume to hear the strings and of course then all others were overwhelming.
    The incredible work you are doing is a delight for me, so please do not feel that I am criticizing your work, only that I wish I could hear the strings more balanced to the rest of the orchestra.
    Thank you for posting your wonderful work

Ted
    Thank you Ted, for your kind remarks! I did increase the volume of the strings now a bit and reduced the volume of the clarinet... I must say that I am very much in love with the Garritan woodwinds, which may be the reason that sometimes I favour them too much. Especially I love the use of woodwinds in 2:10 - 2:35 and in the slow ending starting at 6:35 :-)

Gerd

Go Back to forum