• Register
  • Help

Topic: Attention Garritan World users

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Attention Garritan World users

A problem cropped up with ARIA Engine updates any newer than 1.620. If you have ARIA Engine 1.670 from the Aria Engine site, or 1.699 also available there with the Sforzando download, you will have a bad glitch effecting the World woodwinds. They will randomly and intermittently make a zippering, sliding, popping sound going from one note to the other. The bug renders those instruments useless - SO, for now just stick with Engine 1.620 which is still the newest available on MM's download site. In an update to those newer Engines, this problem will be solved - the developers are aware of the bug.

Randy

Re: Attention Garritan World users

I haven't noticed this issue with the world woodwinds in 1.626 which I'm currently running. However, when I tried 1.670 I had an issue where the convolution reverb just sounded like a large very loud cavern no matter what I adjusted (using FL Studio, x86 host.) The issue disappeared after I re-installed 1.626 which happened to be the only other version I had in my download folder.

I assumed it was something on my end, but I'm curios if someone else ran into the same issue. I haven't been able to figure out what the reporting mechanism is for issues on the AriaEngine.com site.

Re: Attention Garritan World users

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bendshadler View Post
    I haven't noticed this issue with the world woodwinds in 1.626 which I'm currently running. However, when I tried 1.670 I had an issue where the convolution reverb just sounded like a large very loud cavern no matter what I adjusted (using FL Studio, x86 host.) The issue disappeared after I re-installed 1.626 which happened to be the only other version I had in my download folder.

I assumed it was something on my end, but I'm curios if someone else ran into the same issue. I haven't been able to figure out what the reporting mechanism is for issues on the AriaEngine.com site.
    Hi, Daniel - Thanks very much for the report. This is good to know that 1.626 is OK too. So it's versions after that with the broken World woodwinds programming. MM still only has 1.620 as the latest download available, or at least that's how it's labeled, and so that's the one I mentioned in this thread. It does get confusing how there are so many ARIA Engine updates. For the most part there have been great improvements, but this World glitch is a rare example of something fairly major that accidentally crept in.

Recently I also had that awful problem of convolution sounding like a very loud cave when I loaded some Garritan Harps pre-sets. When I looked at ARIA's mixer, I could see that the problem was the instrument had loaded with its Send knob turned up almost to 12:00. Bringing that back down to where it should be, around 7:30, fixed things. It sounds like you came across the same or similar glitch, but you said you couldn't fix it. Maybe you didn't turn the Send down?--but that's how the level of reverb on an instrument is controlled.

You're right that there doesn't seem to be a route to reporting issues and getting support at the AriaEngine site. I'm on it right now. For the Garritan ARIA Player, they just list the Garritan Support links at MM and here at Northern Sounds. The thing is, the Engine site isn't specifically a Garritan site, it's a Plogue site. They develop the Engine which they're promoting as a generic sample player that companies could use for hosting their instruments. So far the Engine is only being used by themselves, for Plogue Chipsounds and Sforzando, and by Akai for their EWI, and Garritan/MakeMusic. There is cross over in personnel, and I wouldn't be able to outline exactly who works for who and what their distinct responsibilities are - But I know that when I've sometimes reported problems at a non-public "development" bulletin board, I've sometimes had responses like, "That's a question for the MakeMusic programmers," or "That's an ARIA Player issue, not an Engine issue"---so, it's confusing.

Adding to my own personal confusion, I'm always on versions which are quite a few iterations past what's publicly available, because of helping out on the Beta testing team. It leaves me always unclear exactly what issues users are dealing with.

In any case! - For now, World users really need to sit tight and not go beyond 1.620 or 1.626. There may be issues with other Libraries too, yet to be reported. So it's probably safest to say for everyone to stick with whatever version they're on if things seem to be working.

Thanks again for the input, Daniel.

Randy

Go Back to forum