• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dont laugh--Has anyone tried the sequencer that comes with the Computer Music mag?

Share/Bookmark

Dont laugh--Has anyone tried the sequencer that comes with the Computer Music mag?

This is the sequencer-called CM, I think--that comes bundled with the magazine.

I\'m curious because the most recent issue claims it installs and runs on its own operating system. Not sure what this means--it would have to shut down Windows, it seems to me, to run its own operating system.

The magazine claims the software is more stable than any other sequencer. Supports VSTI, midi, etc. Anyone given it a try?

Re: Dont laugh--Has anyone tried the sequencer that comes with the Computer Music mag?

I actually used this back when it was first released for one project on a laptop that needed as much juice for the VSTIs as possible. It barely begins to tax the processor which is very useful and is quite well thought out. Because it worked well for midi sequencing, I had intended to use it permanently on the laptop but the company that makes the main version seemed to be a bit slow to respond to suggestions for improvements. I don\'t know if that\'s still the case though.

Its always worth checking out some of these minor products because they are usually free of the heavy feature baggage the major players come packaged with. For basic sequencing they are useful and the midi files can always be sent to the main sequencer later for the big stuff.

Re: Dont laugh--Has anyone tried the sequencer that comes with the Computer Music mag?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    This is the sequencer-called CM, I think--that comes bundled with the magazine.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s called Muzys - the freebie version is based on the older version 2.4 and has quite a few restrictions as well, more of that later...

I\'m curious because the most recent issue claims it installs and runs on its own operating system. Not sure what this means--it would have to shut down Windows, it seems to me, to run its own operating system.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not an entirely acurate description perhaps - Muzys comes as a zipped archive, you simply extract the contents to a folder, find the executable and double-click it - no changes are made to your system, no registry entries etc., uninstall is as simple as deleting the folder [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As i understand it (and i\'m not a programmer by any means) it uses it\'s own UI library and simply makes calls to the audio/midi hardware etc. - i\'ve found it very stable, or at least as stable the plugins you run in it.... Muzys was originally designed with live performance in mind, and it shows - everything, and i mean everything is automatable, editing on the fly, dropping in and out of record etc., if you like to work this way ,you\'ll like it.

First problem : Muzys development is basically a one man job. Jo, the guy responsible, has locked himself away in the lab working on the OSX port and a few other things, and has barely been heard of for months, and therefore whilst the user commuity has hope, there remains the possibility that further development may be non-existant [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Bizarrely and inexplicably, the on-line shop is also closed, and you cant even buy a copy of the most recent release, Muzys 3....

So, what you\'re left with in the meantime is the freebie version given away with CM - only 6 VSTi slots, less mixer channels, and VSTi multi-timbrality severely limited, older feature set etc. Sucks eh? Well ,the good news is that if you\'re running external midi gear, or Giga on a seperate PC then you\'re not really restricted at all, as MIDI channels are unlimited [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Therefore, it could be well worth a try if you\'re curious to know more.

However, even better, drop by www.muzys.com and download the demo of Muzys 3 to get a better idea of the potential of this program - check out in particular the Muzynth, an Absynth/Crystal style beast built in to the heart of Muzys and a sound designers dream [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Coupled with the innovative and comprehensive MIDI approach, it\'s looking good so far, apart from.........:

Second problem - No HD streaming of audio, well, yet anyway, we live in hope for ver.4.....All audio is handled in RAM, with some nifty ways of triggering and manipulating it etc. but for tracking and editing medium/large quantities of audio tracks it\'s no go. Beatslicing REX-style and time stretching all catered for though.

(anyone still with me by now? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

If you use and are happy with, any of the big sequencer apps, then at this point in time, IMO, Muzys is not worth looking at - you\'ll miss too much.

However, if you have \'issues\' with the way your host handles MIDI, and are curious to see it done another way, give it a go. Be warned though, Muzys leaves most conventions, incl. those of your OS, behind, the manual whilst friendly, is cryptic in places, and the getting the hang of the workflow will leave you scratching you head at best - but once you \'get\' it......

So, why am i messing around with a hard to learn, potentially dead, not-for-sale,application i hear you ask?

Simply this - in it\'s last incarnation, Muzys was/is a Rewire host, and IMO it\'s ability as a pure MIDI seqencer is unsurpassed - all of which makes it a potential killer MIDI front-end for the upcoming Giga3.......and Muzys 4 is rumoured to be possibly on the way.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Finally, if anyone is STILL curious, i should direct you to the Muzys forum at KvR where others much more qualiifed than i can answer all you need to know.

Phew, a mega-post, and i\'m only meant to be lurking [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I shall now return to wrestling with the controller pane in Sonar [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hope it was of some interest.

Kind regards

I think long posts are the best [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Then you know when someone actually has got something important to say.

My post is a good example [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum