• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Händel: 2 Dances from the Water Music

Share/Bookmark

Wink Händel: 2 Dances from the Water Music

Another attempt to work with Notion and Logic Pro.

The score has been written in Notion and exported to Logic as a midi file. (No fine-tuning at all in Notion.)

All the detail work has been done in Logic, as well as the ambience, panning and positioning.

Instruments: all VSL: strings, bassoon and piccolo as in the original score by Händel.

It's dance music, and therefore not too much rhythm variation.

I've tried to imitate the subtle sound of the baroque strings, without any vibrato in a small chamber ensemble.

Enjoy the listen!

Max

Water Music Dances 1 & 2

Re: Händel: 2 Dances from the Water Music

I'm amazed by the fact that Händel wrote this to be played by VSL instruments!

(Love the harpsichordist retaining the last note a bit longer,
    like people does at getting great excitement at playing).
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

This is great. Joyful, just as dance should be. The balance is perfect and I loved that harpsichord. The perception of a limited number of instruments is perfectly handled here. And that reverb! You managed not to overdo this, for my ears just right. You must have had a tremendous amount of work making this. Finally the strings don't suffer that vibrato. In the literature one can learn a lot about the arguments of using vibrato and not-vibrato. Interesting material, though. I played it a second time.

Your neighbour,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ...Enjoy the listen!
    Don't worry - I sure did that- Enjoyed enough for 2, 3, 4 More listeners - It's just sublimely wonderful, Max. You achieved everything you set out to. Could not praise your work here enough. Now - hope you get more listeners so they can be part of the elegant dance.

Randy

Terrific render! Sounds like you have a Händel on it. Sorry, I know, I know...

Thank you Fabio, Raymond, Randy and Daniel.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, because I did when experimenting with the endless possibilities of Logic for this piece. It was part of the learning process to master that DAW a bit more, with the help of my Vienna libraries. They are great, but sometimes so difficult to rule and to find the right sound for the style or genre. After all, it's mainly a matter of good taste and a lot of listening to good live performances.
    Of course it's definitely not the intention to just recreate beautiful existing music. The ultimate goal is to go on composing. But the historical material is wonderfully fit to get more experience because there are so many excellent recordings out there.

Thanks for passing by, for listening AND commenting.

Max

Hey Max! Boy this sounds just great. The strings on this have such a nice sound to them. It helps to have Handel for the musical material, doesn't it. Wonderful post. Thanks, Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Max! Boy this sounds just great. The strings on this have such a nice sound to them. It helps to have Handel for the musical material, doesn't it. Wonderful post. Thanks, Jay
    Thanks, Jay.

This is not Händel's masterpiece, but again, it is a proof of his versatility and talent to be great in the smallest bits of music. This is definitely more than just a 'dancing' tune.

Thanks for the listen.

Max

Had to listen three times because I was "ordered" away from my computer, TWICE, so the third listening.
    I can not comment on this work. It is truly wonderful what you did.
    There is a similarity between me and Beethoven. No, no, not in the talent area, but that my ears are going and I can not rely on them any more. So, I can not hear subtle details any more. This is possibly a blessing, I don't hear the awful things I am writing.
    But, there is no question how beautiful this sounds. I think first of all it is good because you are good. Secondly you are a lucky person to have the tools. The two is absolutely necessary for this class of creation.
    So, keep going, and let us hear more.

(jealous) Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Had to listen three times because I was "ordered" away from my computer, TWICE, so the third listening.
    I can not comment on this work. It is truly wonderful what you did.
    There is a similarity between me and Beethoven. No, no, not in the talent area, but that my ears are going and I can not rely on them any more. So, I can not hear subtle details any more. This is possibly a blessing, I don't hear the awful things I am writing.
    But, there is no question how beautiful this sounds. I think first of all it is good because you are good. Secondly you are a lucky person to have the tools. The two is absolutely necessary for this class of creation.
    So, keep going, and let us hear more.

(jealous) Ted
    No need to be jealous, Ted. From what I've heard of you, you are a great talent with a critical mind (self criticism) and that is very healthy. Your ears degrading... That is a pity (or sometimes a blessing). My wife keeps telling me that I'm growing deaf with all that music, but the truth is that I'm selectively deaf...

As to the libraries: It is a matter of being patient and making choices. Watching carefully what expenses you make or don't make. And sometimes a little money can be set aside for such follies as the VSL libraries (little, but expensive). The other part is, that it takes quite some time to learn how to master them. What I did here, was just a rather succeeded start. There is a lot of work to be done. (randomising the velocities, tempo variations, expression... to make it feel more human: Now it is still a machine playing with a good sound.

Thanks for listening and commenting,

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast