• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: G5 vs. AMD64 - Interesting test!

G5 vs. AMD64 - Interesting test!

Here\'s an interesting test of the new AMD64 vs. the Apple G5 (I\'m sure it doesn\'t matter to some people, but the fact that the AMD64 runs at twice the speed of a dual 2.0ghz G5 in most of the tests makes for quite the eye catcher)

Hand out the flame throwers! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: G5 vs. AMD64 - Interesting test!

I don\'t know how valid the test is, I just found it interesting!

Don\'t shoot the messenger! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yep, Premiere is dead on Macs, and Photoshop 7 is not optimized for OSX, let alone 64-bit.

Considering this comes from PC WORLD ... i\'d take it for a grain of salt.

I was waiting to see pics of the testers frying chicken on the AMD\'s [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Those buggers get HOT!!

No harm to the messenger, we know you have a little love for the Mac ;-)

Hehe, yeah it\'s kinda like that hot girl at school you never got [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Then again she couldn\'t be bought.. maybe with a big diamond.. but if you had a big diamond you\'d might as well buy a bunch of G5s instead.. but you\'d lose out on the girl.. Maybe a medium sized diamond and a G5 is the way to go.. hmm I believe I\'m officially rambling now.

Where are the Dual Xeon !!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And quadra processors ? ... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:

I guess this shows that if you want, you can rig a test to prove what you wish to prove.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very true. Many early Mac benchmark tests featured Photoshop that had specific code instr=uctions for that platform only.

Stuttgart, Germany

Most of these test are irrelevant for most of us. It depends on what system serves you better for your needs and taste. I mean, I am very happy with my Mac and how it behave as my sequencing machine.
    Bruce on the other hand would simply die if he had to work on a Mac for longer than 15 sec I guess.
    Both systems can be quite effective if configured correctly. I really like my Mac but I hate OS wars. Besides, I have 2 PC dedicated to Gigastudio.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    Pretty silly test, if you ask me. Adobe Premiere has been completely discontinued for the Mac, so that application certainly is not optimized for the G5. Photoshop 7.0.1 is also not the most recent version.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">But then again, they weren\'t optimized for the AMD64 processor either.

i think it\'s no secret, that the amd64-processor is faster than the g5! the 2.2ghz-amd64 is even faster than the 3.2ghz pentium4!!! (without even working in 64-bit mode). even if you think this benchmark isn\'t right, you\'ll surely agree, that it\'s at least as fast as the g5_2ghz.... but have a look at the price-difference: for the price of 1 g5dual2ghz with 512mb i will be able to get 2 machines with a amd64 3200+ with 2 gb ram each for sure!!! that\'s the factor that matters to me..... just my personal oppinion!

Olomouc; Czech Republic

heh, i must smile every time when anyone think that apple could be faster/better than PC:-)
    for apple -time is gone...
    I really dont see any use of this \"console\" anymore - its expensive,slow,hardly upgradable...-yes it looks nice but-is it enough?

for price of one good MAC you get two good Pc´s...

Im live in europe where Mac never has any big usage and now when I sometime work with it - its misery!

(mouse with 1 button -oh my..)

Go Back to forum