• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Large Hard Drive - ok for samples?

Share/Bookmark

Large Hard Drive - ok for samples?

I know this question has been asked before. However I am yet to find a conclusion.

Currently I will have around 150GB\'s worth of samples (with a few shipments coming in). And it will only grow over time! Thus I need a new hdd for samples only.

What size hard drive to people suggest? I\'m looking at around 200-250GB (7200rpm, SATA). However I read somewhere it is better to use 2x120gb hard drives for samples. However I only have one SATA spot left on my motherboard. I\'m also not wanting to spend a forture either. What do people suggest? What are people using?

It would be very helpful if people could list what they use. Example - 250GB for samples and 40 GB for programs ect, ect... Any problems ect?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Large Hard Drive - ok for samples?

The limiting factor of streaming samples is hard drive speed. As processors have doubled in speed every two years, hard drive seek time has been stuck at the same speed for quite some time. So if you can build a RAID with two drives, it will be much faster than one drive can deliver. A four-drive RAID is faster still. I plan on building a four-drive RAID using four Western Digital 120GB drives, creating the big momma 480GB RAID drive for gigs. This should last me... a year. I hope. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW - does anyone have experience building a system like this? Any power supply recommendations?

(FYI this is not a TASCAM recommended system, don\'t read too much into this. Just my hairbrained idea for a system to run GS3.)

Synthetic, what is a RAID? And why is it faster if you use 2 or 4 of them? Is faster midi response? Latency?

------------
    Alex Cremers

RAID can be very problematic and buggy. Be careful if you are going down this path.

Alex, RAID can be used in a number of ways, to share data simultaneously across multiple drives, to have one drive run backup to a main drive, etc, etc, there are actually 10 different RAID arrays you can have.

Personally I would go SATA. Everyone I know (myself included) have had huge problems configuring RAID. It\'s not cheap compared to other methods either.

OK, thanks. In that case, I still place my bets on those military RAM drives. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

------------
    Alex Cremers

There are various RAID levels, with and without dataloss protection. They all usually increases disk bandwidth (mostly read speed) but disk latency remains usually the same if not worse.

for streaming samplers RAID drives can increase performance (= more polyphony) due to the higher aggregate disk bandwidth but keep in mind since disk seek lacency is not increased you need to use larger sample preload sizes when wanting to stream in very high polyphony setups.

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    OK, thanks. In that case, I still place my bets on those military RAM drives. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Or the ones Nasa uses [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But still the question remains: Better use just ONE BIG drive or get two of half the size instead...

Oh & yes: does it make sense to partition a \"sample-drive\"? Or just throw the samples on one big partition: the drive itself???
    thankx

I use 40 GBs with 2 partitions for dual boot windows XP (one is plain Sonar, other has Sonar plus plugins as well). 120 GBs for project files. 120 GBs (unpartitioned) for Samples. I\'ll have to upgrade the 120 GBs though since Im running out of sample space.

Go Back to forum