• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How many giggas...

How many giggas...

I\'ve noticed that there\'s some great demos using GOS but I can\'t even come close to getting those sounds with my one little Gigga machine. How many are most people running to get seriously cool mockups? 1 for each instrument? That would be 4, a vln machine, vla, Vc and DB. I don\'t know. I just know I can\'t load everything I want and it\'s a pain to keep dumping it (which I\'m doing). I\'m sure I\'ll get at least one more machine, but what do you guys suggest? And how much RAM is appropriate? AND, is SDRAM fine? I have a friend that is insistant that SDRAM isn\'t good enough, but as far as I\'m concerned I could get several Gigs of SDRAM for way cheaper then even 1 Gig of RDRAM. What\'s your suggestions?????

Re: How many giggas...

Yea, I\'d like to also know that.

Well, I\'m going to help answer these questions, but to do so, I\'m showing the specs of our GigaKiller system that Cedarville University just ordered from us. Here\'s the link, and check the specs:

The RAM on this system is ECC DDR which is what the Intel motherboard we\'re using calls for. The use of either RD RAM or SDRAM is dependent on the motherboard. We\'ve maxed out the machine with 1GB of RAM because GigaStudio\'s limit under WinXP today is 1GB RAM. Of that, Windows XP will need 128MB. So effectively, you have 872MB of RAM to work with.

SD RAM is primarily on \"older\" PIII boards. These boards, depending on the model, max out between 512MB RAM and 768MB RAM. Some motherboards have 1GB under PIIIs and Win98SE.

How much is enough? Under XP, you should max out the system with 1GB then wait to read that GS will read above that. Right now, motherboards using either RD RAM or ECC RAM handle 2GB of RAM, some handle 3GB.

RD RAM is the better RAM. However, the original 850 motherboard that came out with RDRAM had problems with USB and created some MIDI issues. It\'s since been replaced by the 845 boards using DDR. RDRAM is also much more expensive. However, can you really tell the difference between RDRAM, SDRAM and DDR? Well, statistically there is a difference. But to really know, you\'d need a room full of computers running GigaStudio to test. And in the end, the results would be marginal for day-to-day work.

The big thing, Jeremy, is that people with a little PC knowledge can say foolish things in an effort to be the authority.

We build quality systems and I\'ve just given you the straight talk. As a fast summary, the answers depend on the motherboard and the OS being used.

Thanks peter, that\'s not far from what I\'ve got. I was just hoping I could assemble another system for a little less. I\'ve got an Asus motherboard (forget which number) with P4 1.7 and 512 RDRAM. I\'m running Win2k, should I switch to XP you think? I guess I\'ll try to get this one maxed out with RAM, my MB can handle 3 Gigs I think (I\'ll have to look) but I know GS can\'t handle that much. Maybe another system just like this is what I\'ll do. I\'ll save a little with SDRAM but it\'s not millions.... but it is enough to keep me from a cool new library!!

SO, with all that said about the system, to do good full string mock ups, how many machines should I get?

in real time? with lots of big voicing and layering

two atleast

not in real time?

one is fine and dandy.

I think all the stuff Simon did on the GOS demo page was before he bought a second machine.

I\'m still using one machine.

Dont get caught up in realtime unless you have the budget for 3 machines. Poly count is the problem for many, not memory.

Related is the topic of using \"heavy\" versus lighter programs. When doing orchestral music, you often do not need chromaticaly sampled programs. For instance, Dan Dean provides reduced programs that are up to 3 times smaller than their chromatic counterparts, using one sample for three notes (the \"LT1\" ones - same number of velocity levels). You will not hear the difference, unless perhaps when exposed in a solo.

GOS also has a number of lighter programs, and combined keyswitching programs.

You can also start making you own reduced programs. For instance, AO keyswitching programs often contain styles that you don\'t need in most pieces.

Or, you can leave out ranges that you may never need, like the upper half range of a bass trombone, etc. It easy to cram in a lot of samples into the memory you have available.

Use some mono instead of stereo instruments (for instance XSample\'s woodwinds come in both stereo and mono). Within orchestral context the doubling of required memory only gives you a marginal improvement in realism.

Remember to create specific performance files for individual projects. Some stuff will be more strings intensive, other stuff will require more brass, etc. Do not expect that you can use a single \"template\" performance file. Build the performance file while working on the project. (of course start out with a previous performance file that will probably load most instruments you need).

When you start hitting the limit of 160 voices, then it becomes time to consider another PC. Or to let go of those instruments that are real poly-eaters: EXP, REL, etc.

Final tip: listen to Thomas (J.) Bergersen\'s music. Although I believe he is now also starting to expand his hardware, a lot of his \"older\" demos were made with a single PC. He is a strong advocate for using compact, light instruments. (TJ: what happened to your site? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ).

You do not have to wait until you have the budget for 10 Giga PC\'s and the Vienna Library... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

All of my demos have been created on 1 machine with 1 GB ram. I sequence in Sonar. All of my tracks are live before the final mixdown, no bouncing. I keep my memory usage in GS under 65% and is usually around 30 or 40.

One machine per string section is definitely overkill - at least until Vienna comes around (but I am skeptical towards that library, at least its phrases etc). It is true that I have used one machine up until recently. I then expanded to two machines a couple of months ago, and it\'s been very helpful. It allows me to set up an orchestral template that I can pretty much use for all orchestral music I want to do. It also allows me to load more instruments of course, since I now have 2 machines with 1GB memory each. I have one machine for strings, loaded with 89% memory. The other machine is for the rest: Brass, woodwinds, percussion and choir, loaded up to 99% memory. During the next couple of days I\'m expanding to 3 machines. Keeping the one machine for strings, splitting the 2nd up into two: one for brass+woodwinds, one for percussion, choir and \'ethnic instruments\'. After having gotten Dan Dean Brass Ensembles and SAM Horns I really needed to use more MIDI channels on brass, so this will be a big advantage.

If you don\'t need/want to work with templates, you won\'t need such a big setup most of the time, since you probably won\'t be using all your template\'s instruments in a single piece.

How do you keep your memory down on strings? I can\'t even load all the GOS vlns with my 512. I realize I could double it to 1 gig, but my best estimates show that would only allow me to load all the strings. Right now if I want to do strings the only way I can do it is to load all the light versions with Key switches. That will get me all the sections and sounds, but I can\'t use Maestro tools and all the other cool features of using the non-light versions..... ideas if I\'m doing something wrong? My system is not taking up a lot of memory. With nothing running system performance is very very low. Less then 1%.

Remember that the first 512 Mb is shared by the OS and GigaStudio. The next 512 Mb is nearly all available to GigaStudio.

I think Win98SE uses some 60-80 Mb and Win2K and XP are probably in the 100-150 Mb range.

Filling out to 1 Gb will more than double your free memory in Gst.

And: why would you want to load ALL Gos strings? Load only the ones you need in a specific piece. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum