• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Percussion Library Recommendation

Need Percussion Library Recommendation

I am looking for a percussion library that has multisampled (velocity mapped) hits. Congas, bongos, djembe, udu, clave, wind chimes, bells, gongs, wood blocks, etc. A nice mix of latin/asian/african would be great. I don\'t need loops. Seems everything I am finding is for loops and grooves.

Castle Rock, Colorado

Re: Need Percussion Library Recommendation

East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Library Platinum percussion (hey - I said it in one breath!):

Yellow Tools \'Culture\' could be what you are looking for.

Has pretty much everything you mentioned on it, and a whole lot more.

EWQLSO Platinum Percussion is excellent, but more geared towards orchestral percussion (no congas, bongos, djembes etc.).

They are both excellent products, that compliment each other well.

Wow - Culture sounds great! But I can\'t believe it doesn\'t have metallic wind chimes! Only wooden.

Originally posted by bhuether:
    Wow - Culture sounds great! But I can\'t believe it doesn\'t have metallic wind chimes! Only wooden.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It does have two sets of metallic wind chimes...\'Chinese\' and \'Large\'. The Chinese are particularly nice. They include glisses and single \'tings\' (for want of a better word!).

Plus you get a nice fully functional dongle with Culture. Free of charge!!!!

True enough, Lee, but you know, sometimes in the heat of the action (deadline), it does become easier to call up Culture (or some equivalent) and hit the MIDI keyboard, instead of:

a) take out the mic from its box
    b) hook it up to the cable
    c) turn off any noisy machines, like the vcr and tv monitor
    d) ask wife/boyfriend/children/dog to be quiet
    e) find the chimes
    f) test the levels with a few chime hits
    g) hit record
    h) play with the levels again (had forgotten how many peaks there are in chimes...)
    i) hit record again
    j) put mic away (don\'t want it to gather dust - right?)
    k) turn machines back on
    l) tell wife/boyfriend/children/dog that you\'re finished recording

See what I mean? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

South Ken, London

Yeah, but they\'ll be your own special windchimes with a sound all of its own [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Nobody can source the sample library they came from.

Actually, idiotic gremlin winking aside (say that when you\'re drunk), I\'m being serious here. Have you ever sat back and recognised the source of sample library in a recording?. Often with tuned instruments the character is in the performance as much as its in the sound of the instrument but when it comes to pre-performed samples like windchimes or harp glissandos its often not difficult to recognise these things. For some reason, it often cheapens the music for me.

I think there\'s a lot to be said for spending a weekend or three recording some instruments (percussive or not) or actually playing them live over the rest of the sampled stuff to make a recording sound just that bit more personal.

Go Back to forum